Define what users can access and do in the Orion Platform
This topic applies to all Orion Platform products except for the following products:
EOC — WPM
Each user or group account can have different privileges applied to it, such as the ability to modify alert definitions or delete nodes.
- Log in to the Orion Web Console as an administrator.
- Click Settings > All Settings in the menu bar.
- Click Manage Accounts in the User Accounts grouping.
- Select an account, and click Edit.
- Specify the login options.
Should the user be able to log in immediately?
Set Account Enabled to Yes.
- Disabling an account does not delete it. Account definitions and details are stored in the SolarWinds Orion database and can be enabled later.
- When you disable an account that was used to create alerts, the alerts' Owner field is permanently cleared, but the alerts operate as normal.
Should the user be able to log in only temporarily? Specify the expiration date. Should the user be logged in indefinitely even if the browser is closed?
Select Yes for the Disable Session Timeout option. Session timeouts are global and set in Web Console Settings.
By default, new user accounts are configured to timeout automatically.
- Specify what tasks the user should be able to do.
(Select Yes for this option or do as instructed)
Add and edit user accounts and reset passwords.
SolarWinds recommends that you do not allow users to change their own Orion Web Console account passwords.
Allow Administrator Rights
Granting administrator rights does not assign the Admin menu bar to a user.
Add, edit, and delete nodes. Allow Node Management Rights
Create, edit, and delete maps in the Network Atlas.
Allow Map Management Rights Add, edit, schedule, and delete reports.
Allow Report Management Rights
To only allow access to some reports, select the report category the user can access.
Add, edit, and delete alerts.
Allow Alert Management Rights
To only allow some actions, keep No in Allow Alert Management rights and Allow items in the Alerts section as appropriate.
To only access some alerts, select the category the user can access, or No Limitation.
SolarWinds does not recommend enabling Alert Management Rights when a user account is set to expire. When the account expires, any alert the account created will behave erratically.
Users with Alert Management Rights have the same privileges as the Administrator of the computer where the Orion Platform is installed.
Customize views. Allow Account to Customize Views
By default, customized view creation is not allowed. Changes made to a view are seen by all other users that have been assigned the same view.
Enable/disable monitoring, or stop triggering alerts for monitored entities. Allow Account to Unmanage Objects & Mute Alerts Acknowledge and clear events, advanced alerts, and Syslogs. Allow Account to Clear Events, Acknowledge Alerts and Syslogs
- If you want the user to use additional browser functions, such as right-click menu options, set Allow Browser Integration to Yes.
Right-click menu options also depend on installing the SolarWinds Desktop Toolset and running the Toolset Integration Tray application on each client computer.
- Provide the maximum Number of Items in the Breadcrumb List.
To show all available items in breadcrumb drop-downs, set this option to
- Click Submit.
New account settings are applied when a user next logs in.