Install Orion Platform products using Azure Marketplace in Microsoft Azure or Microsoft Azure Government
This topic applies to all Orion Platform products.
You can deploy Orion Platform products using the Azure Marketplace in Microsoft Azure or Microsoft Azure Government.
Orion Platform license
On Azure Marketplace, Orion Platform products are now available with 30-day evaluation period.
Evaluating Orion Platform products is free of charge. However, please note that an instance of Orion Platform product(s) is deployed to your Azure environment that is running in your end-user subscription, and is subject to a charge payable to Microsoft. You can check the Infrastructure-as-a-Service rates in Azure Marketplace.
Why use Azure with the Orion Platform?
- You can use the following database solutions for your deployment: Azure SQL Database or dedicated SQL.
- Azure VMs are built dynamically on the fly using the latest versions and hotfixes available at time of creation.
- The installation on Azure Marketplace is powered by the SolarWinds Orion Installer. After installing an Orion Platform products using the Azure Marketplace, you can install further products directly from the Orion Web Console.
Before you begin, review the requirements for deploying your Orion Platform in the Azure cloud.
Steps to deploy Orion Platform using Azure Marketplace
Go to Azure Marketplace and find the SolarWinds products to install.
Navigate to the Azure Marketplace, search for SolarWinds products, and review the offer for selected products.
You can also use the following link: https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps?search=SolarWinds (© 2019 Microsoft, available at https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com, obtained on December 8, 2020).
To install in Azure Government region, log in to the Azure Government Portal (© 2020 Microsoft, available at https://portal.azure.us/, obtained on December 8, 2020) and navigate to the Marketplace service.
Follow the wizard to install the Orion Platform product using Azure Marketplace.
Basics: Configure basic settings
- Select a subscription.
- Assign a Resource group.
- In Region, select where to deploy your Orion instance.
Virtual Machine Settings: Provide details about you VM
- Provide the machine name.
- In Virtual machine size, review the size selected by default.
Verify the suggested OS Disk type.
The default recommended option leaves room for installing additional Orion Platform modules.
If you decide to change the VM size, click Change size and select an option.
Operating System Details: Configure the operating system and create a VM admin
- In Image, select an operating system.
- Create the VM administrator and provide credentials in Windows Admin Username and password.
- You can also use your own Windows license to reduce the cost.
Network Settings: Configure virtual network, subnets, public IP and DNS prefix for the public IP
- In Virtual Network, create a new network or select the network to deploy the Orion Azure VM.
- In Subnets, specify the subnet to deploy the Orion Azure VM.
- In Public IP Address, you can specify a static or dynamic publicly routable IP address for accessing the Orion deployment.
If you don't want to use a public IP address, select None.
- In DNS Prefix..., specify the host name or short name of the server.
Orion Installation: Review the defaults
- In Products to install, select the product(s) to install. You can select one or more Orion Platform products.
- Create a password for the Orion Web Console Admin user.
- If you plan to deploy scalability engines, make sure the Support Scalability Engine option is selected (Yes). This opens the ports necessary for the deployment and operation of additional polling engines, additional web servers, and high availability servers.
Database Settings: Select the installation type and define the user
In Installation Type, select whether to use Azure SQL DB or Microsoft SQL as the database server type. If you select Azure SQL DB, the default Standard S3 tier is used. You can change it at any time.
Provide the database settings:
If you selected Azure SQL DB, create a new administrator for the Orion database.
If you selected Microsoft SQL, provide the DB server name (FQDN), the database name, and the database administrator credentials.
Review + create: Review and back up template and parameters
- Review the settings before the deployment starts. You can download the template and parameters for using the same values in the future. Click Download a template for automation.
- Review the offer details.
- If everything looks good, click Create to start the deployment.
To deploy more Orion Platform products, use the Orion Installer directly from the Orion Web Console.
Log in to the Orion Web Console you have just installed.
Click Settings > My Orion Deployment.
Go to the Updates & Evaluations tab and complete the Orion Upgrade and Evaluation Wizard. See Orion Installer for more details.
Disclaimer: Please note, any content posted herein is provided as a suggestion or recommendation to you for your internal use. This is not part of the SolarWinds software or documentation that you purchased from SolarWinds, and the information set forth herein may come from third parties. Your organization should internally review and assess to what extent, if any, such custom scripts or recommendations will be incorporated into your environment. You elect to use third party content at your own risk, and you will be solely responsible for the incorporation of the same, if any.