Install Dameware Central Server in express mode
This topic provides instructions on installing the Dameware Central Server in express mode where the Dameware Server, the Internet Proxy, and the Mobile Gateway are installed on the same server. The Internet Proxy and Mobile Gateway are only available with Dameware Remote Support centralized.
See Determine which Dameware Central Server deployment option to use for a description of all deployment options.
Before you begin, ensure that you:
- Obtain a copy of DamewareServer.exe, the Dameware Central Server installation file. The file is available on the SolarWinds Customer Portal. If you have not obtained a copy, complete Task 1 below.
- Review the system requirements and port requirements.
- Are familiar with your IP routing tables so that you can configure port forwarding rules for the port number to IP address and vice versa.
- Know how to set up a Domain Name Server (DNS).
- Know how to acquire a public IP address and set up Network Address Translation (NAT) rules.
- Open the following ports: 80, 443 (444 if 443 is not available), 6129, 6130, 6132, and 6133. You can use other ports if these ports are already in use.
- Obtain administrator access to your Windows firewall.
- Obtain access to the physical firewall, if required.
The installation is divided into separate tasks that need to be completed before you can begin using Dameware Remote Support.
Task 1: Download the Dameware Central Server installation file and license keys
If you have not yet created a SolarWinds account, see Access the Customer Portal to create an account.
- Go to the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
- In the Log In tab, enter your email address and password.
- In the Latest Downloads table, click Choose Download for the installation files for Dameware Central Server.
- To obtain your license keys, click Licenses > Manage Licenses.
Task 2: Run the installation file
- Log in as an administrator to the server on which you want to install the Dameware Central Server.
- Right-click the Dameware Server executable, and select Properties.
- If you see an Unblock button, click it, and then click OK.
If the executable is blocked, Dameware does not install correctly.
The Installation Wizard opens.
Task 3: Complete the Installation wizard
- Click Next on the Welcome window.
- If you agree, accept the terms of the license agreement.
- Accept the default installation directory, or click Browse and select a directory.
- Select Express Dameware Central Server Install, and click Next.
- Select your shortcut preferences, and click Next.
- On the Ready to Install dialog box, click Install.
As the installation progresses, a dialog box opens, prompting you to enter an email address. If you do not enter an email address, the installation does not complete.
- On the final dialog box, click Finish.
Task 4: Enter your Dameware license keys
You can enter your Dameware license keys during the installation process, or after the installation completes. The steps below show you how to activate your license during the installation process. If you want to activate your license after the installation completes, see Activate a Dameware license.
- On the Dameware Licensor dialog box, enter the Dameware Remote Support centralized license key.
The Dameware Licensor dialog box opens at the end of the installation.
For detailed instructions on using the Licensor to activate your product, see Activate a Dameware license.
- If you are using the Dameware Mobile Gateway, enter that license key.
You are issued a separate license key for the Dameware Mobile Gateway.
To locate your Dameware license key is, log in to the SolarWinds Customer Portal, and click Licenses > Manage License.
Task 5: Complete the Configuration wizard
After the installation completes, the Configuration wizard automatically runs. As you work through the Configuration wizard, you have the option of configuring the Internet Session URL. You can configure the Internet Session URL now, or you can skip this step and configure the Internet Session URL at a later time.
- On the Dameware Server Component Introduction panel, click Next.
- On the Select configuration options panel, click Express Configuration, and click Next.
- Enter the Internet Session URL, and click Test Connection.
If you are using port 443, you do not need to specify that in the URL. Dameware assumes that you are using port 443. If you are using a different port number, you must add that port number to the URL.
The Internet Session URL is the URL that you send out to your remote end users. This field defines the DNS, which can be a fully qualified name or IP address. The Internet Session URL must be NAT'd to a public IP address.
The Test Connection button is hard-coded to test against port 443. If you have changed the port, the test fails, but the Internet Session URL can be valid. If the test fails and you are using port 443, then troubleshoot the Internet Session URL.
- Click Next.
For more information on configuring the Internet Session URL, see Install the Dameware Internet Proxy with another web server, Specify the Internet Session URL in Dameware, and Modify your firewall or router to support Internet Sessions in Dameware Mini Remote Control.
- On the Configuration complete panel, accept the default user account credentials, or change them, and click Finish.
Task 6: Install the Dameware Remote Support client
After you deploy the Central Server, Install Dameware Remote Support client (centralized mode).