Automatically deploy a Windows agent to established instances on Amazon Web Services
This SolarWinds Platform topic applies only to the following products:
Hybrid Cloud Observability Essentials — Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced
IPAM — NAM — NPM — SAM — VMAN
Click Settings > All Settings in the menu bar.
Under Product Specific Settings, click Agent & Remote Collector. Then, on the Agent Management view, click Download Agent Software.
In Orion Platform 2020.2 and earlier, click Agent Settings to get to the Agent Management view with the Download Agent Software link.
- Click Windows, and click Next.
- Click Mass Deploy to Multiple Machines, and click Next.
- Download the MSI and MST files.
- Log in to your Amazon Web Services S3 account.
- Create a bucket and upload the MSI and MST files.
- Create a PowerShell script to run on each virtual machine when it is launched for the first time, downloading and executing the MST and MSI files on each virtual machine where you want to install the agent.
- Log in to your Amazon Web Services account.
You can perform the following steps through the API or AWS command line interface.
- Create an instance, and paste your PowerShell script under Advanced Details in the User Data text box. Select the As Text option.
- For instances that are already created, take the following steps:
- Stop the instance where you want to deploy the agent
- Right-click the instance and click Instance Settings > View/Change User Data.
- Paste your PowerShell script in the text box as Plain Text.
- Optional: For Server-initiated communication (passive), in the SolarWinds Platform Web Console click Settings > All Settings > Node & Group Management > Manage Agents > Add Agent > Connect to a previously installed agent > Next. Enter the name, IP address, and port number for the agent and click Server-initiated communication.
When the installation is successful and communication between the agent and the SolarWinds Platform server is successful, the agent is listed on the Manage Agents page.