Import custom property values in the SolarWinds Platform
This SolarWinds Platform topic applies only to the following products:
Hybrid Cloud Observability Essentials — Hybrid Cloud Observability Advanced
DPAIM — EOC — IPAM — LA — NAM — NCM — NPM — NTA — SAM — SRM — UDT — VMAN — VNQM
If you have a spreadsheet listing custom property values, such as asset tags of all your network nodes, you can make this information available for reporting and publication in the SolarWinds Platform Web Console.
Things to consider before the import
- The import will overwrite existing custom properties.
- Your data must be formatted as a table.
- At least one column title should match an existing object property, such as IP Address.
- The import supports the following formats: .csv, .txt, .xls or .xlsx.
- If your .xls or .xlsx file has multiple worksheets, only the first worksheet will be imported.
- Custom property values in the import file must not contain special characters, such as commas, fullstops, or inverted commas. If they do, remove the special characters from the values, and re-add them after the import.
Log in to the SolarWinds Platform Web Console as an administrator.
Click Settings > All Settings in the menu bar.
In the Node & Group Management grouping, click Manage Custom Properties.
Click Import or Import Values (Orion Platform 2020.2.5 and earlier).
On Select File, browse to the custom property data file, and click Open.
Select the object type you want in the Import Values For drop-down.
Specify whether you want to import everything or only items that have changed, and click Next.
To import everything and overwrite existing values in Orion Platform 2020.2.5 and earlier, clear the Remove unchanged rows box.
To import everything and overwrite existing values in Orion Platform 2020.2.6, switch the Update existing custom property values slider to off.
To overwrite only values that changed on 2020.2.5 and earlier, keep the Remove unchanged rows box selected.
To overwrite only edited values on 2020.2.6, keep the Update existing custom property values slider on.
This option expects that you had exported custom properties and edited some values in the exported file. Selecting the box means that before importing the file, the SolarWinds Platform will identify the changed rows and will only import the updates.
On Match Columns, select a SolarWinds Platform database Column for each detected column, and select the Relationship between the columns.
- Select Matches to indicate columns in the spreadsheet that correspond to existing columns in the SolarWinds Platform database, such as IP Address or MAC address.
- Select Imports To to import the data in the spreadsheet column to the selected SolarWinds Platform database column.
This option overwrites any existing data in the corresponding custom properties.
- Select Imports To, and select <No Match Found, Ignore...> for any spreadsheet column you do not want to import.
- In Orion Platform 2020.2.5 and earlier, you can click Create This Custom Property Now to open the Add Custom Property view in a new browser tab if you need to create a custom property for this spreadsheet column.
- In Orion Platform 2020.2.6, use the Validate columns button to make sure that the columns are assigned correctly.
When you view the values of the object type, the values of the custom property you selected are populated.