Install Orion Platform products in a new environment
Complete the following tasks to install one or more Orion Platform products on a server that does not already have Orion Platform products installed.
If you have already installed one or more Orion Platform products, see this topic for information about installing additional products in an existing Orion deployment.
Before you start
Use the information in this topic to prepare for your installation. Use the checklists to prepare your environment, and review the list of "gotchas".
Task 1: Get the installer
If you are new to SolarWinds, you can download a trial version of any product from the product page on https://www.solarwinds.com.
If you are a SolarWinds customer, download the Orion Installer from the Customer Portal:
Log in to the Customer Portal.
Select an Orion Platform product under Latest Downloads for Your Products, and click Choose.
In most cases, you need to download only one product module, even if you plan to install multiple products.
To install the DPA Integration Module without SolarWinds SAM, you must download the DPAIM installer. Other product installers do not include DPAIM in the list of products. See DPAIM installation options.
- Click Download to download either the online or offline installer:
Online: Use this option if your Orion server has internet access. This option guarantees that you have an up-to-date installer with the latest optimizations and fixes. It is the most efficient option, because it downloads only what it needs and nothing more.
Also use online installation to install a scalability engine, even in environments without Internet access. Installing a scalability engine doesn't require Internet access. See Install an Additional Polling Engine, Additional Web Server, or HA server for details.
- Offline: Use this option for installations without Internet access. The offline installer is a prepackaged file that includes everything you need for a large combination of dependencies and products.
- Save the installer on your Orion server.
Task 2: Run the installer on the primary Orion server
Some third-party software, such as .NET 4.8, is required. If it is not found on the server, it is downloaded and installed when you run the installer.
Run the installer
.exefile on your primary Orion server as Administrator.
If you are installing Orion Platform Products in a new environment (not updating an existing installation), the Welcome page is displayed.
- On the Welcome page:
- Select the type of installation:
Lightweight Installation: Use this option only for evaluations or Enterprise Operations Console (EOC) installations. It installs SQL Server Express locally and then installs Orion Platform products as quickly as possible using global settings. You select only the installation location and your preferred product language.
SQL Server Express has a 10 GB storage limit, which is not sufficient for production installations of SolarWinds products other than EOC. If you choose Lightweight Installation and later require a larger database, you will have to migrate to a SQL Server database.
Standard Installation: Install Orion Platform products with an existing or licensed SQL Server database.
Add a scalability engine: Install an Additional Polling Engine, Additional Web Server, or High Availability server. If you are installing a new scalability engine, see Install an Additional Polling Engine, Additional Web Server, or HA server.
Set the Destination Folder.
Orion Platform products cannot be installed on a remote mapped drive, read-only drive, compressed drive, or compressed HDD.
The Select Products page lists the products that you can install.
Not sure what these release acronyms mean?
- HF = Hotfix
- RC = Release Candidate
On the Select Products page:
Select the products to install.
Click the release notes link to learn more about a product.
- Optionally, select the option to Send usage metrics to help SolarWinds improve products. We receive only data collected for the installation and upgrade.
- Click Next.
On the System Check page, review the information under System Check Results.
The installer runs a series of checks per product to verify that your server meets system requirements and recommendations. If your environment does not meet specifications, the installer displays one or more messages:
- Informational and warning messages recommend actions and best practices to optimize performance. These do not block the installation.
- Critical issues describe changes that are required to support the products. These block the installation until they are resolved.
Investigate and resolve any issues:
Click the details link to display additional information and suggested resolutions.
- Optionally, click Save Report to save the list of issues.
- After resolving any blocking issues, click Run Checks Again.
- Click Next.
Review the EULA. If you agree, click I accept, and then click Next.
The Installation page displays progress messages. If the installer encounters any issues, the installation stops so you can resolve them. The installer might run multiple product installations before running the Configuration wizard.
If a reboot is required as part of the installation, a message is displayed.
Task 3: Complete the Configuration wizard
If database configuration is required, the Configuration wizard automatically opens. Depending on your products, the wizard might include options and pages not described here.
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- If prompted to stop services, click Yes.
- If you performed a Standard installation with an existing SQL Server database, select one of the following for authentication:
Authenticate as currently logged in user: Pass through authentication to the database server using the account currently logged in for installing the Orion Platform product.
Switch user: Provide credentials automatically detected as either SQL or Windows credentials, allowing Windows authentication for the initial setup even if the Orion server is not joined to a domain or the current account does not have permissions to the database server.
If you intend to use Windows authentication for the Orion Platform, remember to exempt that user account from any password change policies. An expired password will cause the Orion Platform to stop data collection and interrupt Orion Web Console access.
- On the Database Settings page, select your existing Orion database, or create a new database for a new installation, and click Next.
On the Database Account page, create an account or specify an existing account that the polling engine and Orion Web Console will use to access the database. The account can be a Windows or SQL Server account.
- On the Website Settings page:
- Select All Unassigned unless your environment requires a specific IP address for the Orion website. If SSL is selected, port 443 is used. Otherwise, port 80 is used.
Specify the Port and the Website Root Directory where the system installs the web console files.
If you specify any port other than 80, include that port in the URL used to access the Orion Web Console.
To configure SSL, click Enable HTTPS and select your SSL certificate.
If a certificate is not available, select the option to Generate Self-Signed Certificate. The Configuration wizard automatically generates a self-signed certificate issued to the hostname or FQDN and adds it to the trusted certificate store.
If you select Skip website binding, the Configuration wizard does not make changes within the website configuration in your IIS. This option prevents IP address, port, and SSL certificate options.
- If prompted to create a directory or website, click Yes.
- Review the list of services to install, and click Next.
- Click Yes if prompted to disable the SNMP Trap Service and enable the SolarWinds Trap Service.
- On the Completing the Orion Configuration Wizard page, click Next.
When the configuration is complete, click Finish to launch the Orion Web Console.
If the Orion Web Console doesn't open automatically (for example, if it times out before opening), do one of the following to open it manually:
Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds > Orion Web Console.
Open a web browser on your Orion server and enter
ipAddressis the IP address of your server and
hostnameis the host name of your server. This is
https://if SSL was selected.
Log in with user name
admin. Enter a password for the admin account, confirm the password, and then click Save & Login.
Task 4: Activate licenses
Activate the licenses for your new products.
Get the license key for your product from the Customer Portal. You might need multiple licenses: one for each product, HA, Additional Polling Engine, and Additional Web Server.
- In the Customer Portal, select License Management.
- Select the product.
- Copy the license key.
Add and activate the license key using the web-based License Manager in the Orion Web Console.
- Open the Orion Web Console in a web browser.
- Click Settings > All Settings > License Manager.
- Click Add/Upgrade License.
- Enter the Activation Key and Registration Information, and click Activate.
To activate an offline license, see Activate licenses offline.