Run the SEM Remote Agent Installer for large Windows deployments
The Remote Agent Installer allows you to install the SEM Agent on multiple Windows computers without the need to step through an installation wizard. Once installed, the SEM Agent automatically starts and connects to the SEM Manager.
See SEM Agent pre-installation checklist: Prepare to deploy SEM Agents for Agent download information and a pre-install checklist.
The Remote Agent Installer is Windows-only.
- You will need a user account with privileges to write to Windows administrative shares such as C$ or D$
SEM Agents are installed to the following folders:
If you are installing SEM Agents on the far end of a WAN link, copy the Remote Agent Installer executable to the end of the WAN link and run it there. This will avoid using your WAN bandwidth to copy SEM Agents multiple times.
- A reboot is not required.
NetBIOS – If not enabled, the Remote Agent Installer will require a text file of available hosts with each IP address or hostname on its own line.
Extract the contents of the installer ZIP file to a local or network location.
Click Next to start the installation wizard.
Accept the End User License Agreement if you agree, and then click Next.
- Specify a temporary folder on your computer to use for the installation process and click Next. The default is C:\SolarWindsSEMMultiInstall.
Enter the hostname of your SEM Manager in the Manager Host field, and then click Next. Do not change the default port values.
Use the fully qualified domain name for your SEM Manager when you deploy SEM Agents on a different domain. For example, enter
- Select Get hosts automatically or Get hosts from file (One host per line), and then click OK.
- Get hosts automatically uses a NetBIOS broadcast to identify hosts on the same subnet and domain as the computer running the installer.
- Get hosts from file (One host per line) prompts you to browse for a text file that includes the hosts on which you want to install SEM Agents. Use this option for any of the following reasons:
- You are deploying SEM Agents to computers on a different subnet than that on which the computer running the installer resides. Your computer may be able to access these subnets, but their hosts will not be recognized by the NetBIOS broadcast used to get hosts automatically.
- You are deploying SEM Agents to a small segment of a large network, which could make choosing them from a list time prohibitive.
- You are deploying SEM Agents in a network with a complex naming scheme, which could make choosing hosts from a list time prohibitive.
The text file used for this option can contain hostnames, fully qualified domain names or IP addresses, each on their own lines. If DNS names are used, the computer running the installer must be able to resolve them.
Select the check boxes next to the computers on which you want to install a SEM Agent, and then click Next.
- Confirm the list is correct, and then click Next.
Specify the Windows destination for the remote installation.
The default paths are provided for all supported Windows systems. We strongly recommend using the default paths, as the SEM Agent may not be recognized as a service by Windows if it is not installed in a system folder.
The installer is set to automatically detect host operating systems by default, but you can also specify an operating system if all of the target hosts are running the same one.
Specify whether or not you want to install USB-Defender with the SEM Agent, and then click Next. The installer will include USB-Defender by default. To omit this from the installation, clear the Install USB-Defender option box.
SolarWinds recommends installing USB-Defender on every system. USB-Defender will never detach a USB device unless you have explicitly enabled a rule to do so. By default, USB-Defender simply generates alerts for USB mass storage devices attached to your SEM Agents.
Confirm the settings on the Pre-Installation Summary, and then click Install.
Once the installer finishes, it will start the SEM Agent service when you click Next.
Inspect the Agent Log for any errors, and then click Next.
Click Done to exit the installer.
The SEM Agent continues running on your computer unless you uninstall or manually stop it. It begins sending alerts to your SEM Manager immediately.
- See Verify the SEM Agent connection to test that the Agent connected to the SEM Manager.