Create and edit Orion Maps
This Orion Platform topic applies only to the following products:
ACM — NAM — NOM — NPM — NTA — SAM — UDT — VMAN — VNQM — WPM
Starting with Orion Platform 2019.2, you can use the Map Editor to create and customize Orion Maps:
- Create custom Orion Maps from scratch
- Import automatically generated maps to the Map Editor and adjust the maps
- Duplicate and customize already available maps
You can add Orion Maps to your views in a widget.
See the Orion Maps 2.0 post on THWACK.
If your user account does not have Node Management rights, you can save maps only as entities without status. You can display such maps in a widget or in the View mode, but you cannot nest maps without status into other maps.
- Click My Dashboards > Orion Maps in the Home section.
- Click Create. An empty canvas opens. You are now in Edit mode.
- Select entities in the Entity Library and drag them to the canvas. Any relationships to mapped entities, such as topology connections, manual dependencies, or ADM relations, are automatically displayed.
- To display more details about the entity, click an entity on the map. The details are displayed in the panel on the right. The panel lists related entities, connected entities, alerts, and recommendations (VMAN) for the selected entity. Selecting an entity also changes the focus of the map.
- To identify an entity from the list on the map, click the right arrow next to the entity in the list. The entity becomes selected on the map and the panel displays entities relevant for the selection.
- Adjust the position of entities on the map. You can use the following shortcuts:
- To preview the map, click More > View. This opens the map in View mode.
In View mode, you can:
- Hover over an entity to display the pop-up.
- Review the list of entities on the map.
- Click an entity to display the Inspector Panel.
You cannot add entities from the Inspector Panel. To add entities, you need to switch to the Edit mode.
- To save the map, click More > Edit to return to the Edit mode.
- Click Save and provide a unique name. The Orion Map is saved. If your user account does not have Node Management rights, the saved map does not have a status and does not appear in the list of entities.
|Del||Remove the selected entity from the map.|
|Ctrl + S||Save the map.|
|Ctrl + Shift + S||Save the map under a new name.|
|Space bar + mouse||Pan.|
|Esc||Remove entity selection.|
|arrows||Nudge the selected entity.|
|Shift + arrows||Move the selected entity.|
- Go to the details view of the entity you want to base your map on, and click the Map subview.
- Add related or connected entities on the map.
- Position the elements as needed.
- Click Open Map in Editor in the top right corner. The map opens in the Map Editor.
- Complete the map definition, and save the map.
If you want to create a map similar to one you have already created, save the map using another name, and adjust your copy of the map.
If you have Administrator privileges, you can also display and edit maps created by other users.
To duplicate and edit an Orion Map:
- Click My Dashboards > Home > Orion Maps.
- To edit a map created by other users, toggle the All users switch on.
- Select the map to adjust, and click Edit.
- Click More > Save as.
- Provide a name for the copied map and edit as required.