Virtualization Manager Installation Guide
Updated June 6, 2019
Supported Version: VMAN 8.0 and later – The latest version of VMAN is currently 8.5.
This page is for new installations of Virtualization Manager. If you're upgrading an existing installation of VMAN, see the VMAN Upgrade Guide.
Check if your environment meets the recommended requirements
Before installing VMAN, check that your environment meets the software and hardware requirements. See VMAN Recommended Requirements.
If you're planning to use VMAN to monitor and manage a large number of virtual machines, see the VMAN Deployment Sizing Guide to help make sure you're ready to scale.
Download and use the Orion Installer
Use the Orion Installer to install VMAN.
- If you're evaluating VMAN, the Orion Installer is included with the free VMAN trial download.
- The Orion Installer is also included in the latest install package for VMAN, available in the Customer Portal:
- Log in to the Customer Portal.
- Navigate to Downloads > Download Product.
- Select Virtualization Manager in the Products list.
- Under Server Downloads, choose Virtualization Manager for Online Installation or Virtualization Manager for Offline installation. Click Download.
After the download is completed, run the installer to begin installation.
You don't need to install the VMAN appliance
Before version 8.0, Virtualization Manager was packaged as a virtual appliance, which needed to be installed and maintained separately from an Orion Platform installation. To benefit from newer features like Recommendations, users could follow a separate process to integrate the VMAN appliance with an Orion Platform installation.
In versions 8.0 and later, Virtualization Manager is a full Orion Platform product out of the box, already including the most up-to-date features like Recommendations and Capacity Planning. So for new installations, you don't need to download or install the VMAN appliance.
Installing legacy versions of VMAN
If you're looking for an installation guide for an older version, see VMAN's documentation for previous versions.