Monitor with AppInsight for Exchange
Designed exclusively for the Exchange Mailbox role, AppInsight for Exchange provides visibility into storage issues, mail queues, mailbox database status and growth, events, and critical processes and services. With AppInsight for Exchange you can get a single view of all relevant current and historical Exchange performance metrics.
You can add AppInsight for Exchange automatically through Discovery or add it to nodes manually via the Node Details view. After it is applied to a node, AppInsight for Exchange is considered an application and reports data to SAM through a set of component monitors.
AppInsight uses the Exchange credentials you provide to directly access the servers, complete configuration, and collect data during polling. Before adding AppInsight to nodes, review requirements and account permissions.
AppInsight for Exchange recommendations
When using and configuring AppInsight for Exchange, SolarWinds recommend the following best practices:
- Manually configure AppInsight for Exchange on target servers in SAM provides additional configuration and usage options. Manual configuration is recommended for experienced Exchange administrators.
You cannot edit component monitors in the AppInsight for Exchange template to exclude or include specific databases. To monitor specific databases, and not the entire Database Availability Group (DAG), consider using Exchange templates that provide a starting point for PowerShell scripts that monitor metrics for specific databases.
- After configuring AppInsight for Exchange, you may not see active data in widgets or receive alerts immediately because polling may occur at different intervals, ranging from minutes to hours. After 24 hours, widgets and alerts should start reporting data.
- Configure alerts to be notified about Exchange server usage and issues. Monitor alerts for two weeks to generate stable baselines. Your environment's baseline and performance expectations may vary, as compared to the default thresholds.
- Create custom views with different AppInsight for Exchange widgets for user groups in your organization.
- Download the free Exchange Monitor tool to check the status and performance of Exchange servers.
To gain insight into metrics, services and Database Availability Group (DAG) status for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and 2016, see Monitor your Microsoft Exchange Server with a free tool, Exchange Monitor in the SolarWinds online IT community, THWACK.
Additional learning resources include:
- Deep Dive on using AppInsight templates (webinar)
- AppInsight for Exchange: Two Geeks and a Goddess (SolarWinds Lab episode)
- Q & A: AppInsight for Exchange (SolarWinds Lab episode)
- 5 Tips to Optimize Exchange Server for Improved Performance (THWACK)
Navigate AppInsight for Exchange
AppInsight for Exchange can be found in the All Applications widget on the Application Summary view.
To view the AppInsight for Exchange Details page:
- In the Orion Web Console, locate the All Applications widget by clicking My Dashboards > Applications > SAM Summary.
- Expand the AppInsight for Exchange tree and click [+].
- Expand the node tree, click [+], and then click the application.
The AppInsight for Exchange Details view provides a customizable view of widgets for monitoring your Exchange servers and services. Widgets on the view offer access to more Exchange details pages including performance counter, database, and mailbox details.
- Click any performance counter in a widget to view the Exchange Performance Counter Details page.
- Click any database within a Database widget to view the AppInsight for Exchange Database Details page.
- Click any user name within a Mailbox widget to view the AppInsight for Exchange Mailbox Details page.