Use API pollers to monitor metrics via remote APIs in SAM
You can use the API Poller feature to monitor metrics via external REST APIs, providing an easier way to collect data from a modern application stack. Define your API endpoints, pick the metrics you want to monitor, provide credentials, and begin monitoring without the need for custom scripts.
Send and received automated API requests to quickly exchange data with APIs offered by cloud services like Azure and Amazon Web Services (AWS), hardware vendors like Cisco and Nutanix, or any entity that make its data available via API, including SolarWinds.
Some examples of how you could use this functionality include:
- Use SolarWinds AppOptics and Loggly APIs to tighten connections between SolarWinds products in your environment.
- Use the Microsoft Graph API to increase visibility into the performance of apps being monitored by Office 365 application templates in SAM.
- Use the Cisco UCS API to bolster blade server monitoring by adding metrics to what you already collect for hardware health monitoring.
- Use the Nutanix API to check data resiliency by setting alert thresholds for the number of nodes in monitored Nutanix clusters, or drill down into data endpoints to find metrics such as cluster Read IOPs.
- Use the Orion SDK API to provide Orion Platform data to external teams, produce custom dashboards for executives, or automate maps.
If you can access a remote API, you can send requests to it. Similar to tools like Postman, the API Poller feature guides you through building an API poller that can include one or more API requests. You need to know what each API provider requires in requests (for example, tokens), but little coding knowledge is needed. The API Poller feature builds request URLs for you.
When SAM receives an API response, it parses the JSON payload to glean relevant data, assigns that data to the monitored node, and displays metrics in several places throughout the Orion Web Console, including:
- Node Details views: The API Poller widget displays the latest metrics being monitored for the node with their status, as well as the name of the API poller monitoring the metric.
- PerfStack: Navigate directly to Performance Analysis dashboards from the API Poller widget on the Node Details view to see historic API metric data.
- Orion Maps: Click a node with an assigned API poller to display monitored metrics.
Besides being easy to use, the API Poller feature provides the following benefits over standard API tools:
- Select only the metrics you care about, such as those needed for troubleshooting purposes.
- Set warning and critical thresholds that trigger alerts in the Orion Web Console.
- Use out-of-the-box API Poller templates to get started monitoring API metrics quickly. Select a template, apply it to a node, and start monitoring.
Note the following additional details about using the API Poller feature:
- You can use macros and node-based, Orion Platform custom properties in requests.
- API pollers are child contributors for enhanced node status calculations.
- Allow enough time for API responses — the larger the data set, the longer the response time.
- This feature does not currently support Orion agent polling or Orion Remote Collectors.
To begin API monitoring: