Introduction to the SolarWinds Serv-U File Server
The SolarWinds Serv-U File Server (Serv-U) is a multi-protocol file server capable of sending and receiving files from other networked computers through various means. Serv-U comes in two editions: Serv-U FTP and Serv-U MFT, as described here.
Administrators create accounts for users allowing access to specific files and folders on the server or any other available network resource. Access permissions define where, when, and how users can access the available resources. Serv-U File Server's multi-protocol support means users can employ whatever access method is available to them when connecting to your server. Serv-U File Server supports both IPv4 and IPv6 for next-generation networks. SolarWinds Serv-U File Server supports the following protocols:
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
- HTTP (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol)
- FTPS (FTP over SSL)
- HTTPS (HTTP over SSL)*
- SFTP using SSH2 (File Transfer over Secure Shell)*
* These protocols are only available with the Managed File Transfer (MFT) Server edition.
In addition to Serv-U File Server's support for the most popular FTP clients, you can use your favorite web browser or SSH client to connect and transfer files to and from Serv-U File Server. With the Managed File Transfer (MFT) Server edition, administrators wanting to provide a full-featured FTP client can enable FTP Voyager JV, a Java-enabled FTP client delivered to the user when they log in to their Serv-U File Server account.
The following graphic shows a high level overview of a Serv-U File Server deployment (including the optional Serv-U Gateway module).
Using the SolarWinds Serv-U File Server, you can perform the following actions:
- Access files from anywhere.
- Share files with friends, family, and clients.
- Provide employees in the field with a central location to send and receive data files.
- Use full group support that streamlines user creation and maintenance.
- View images in thumbnails and slide shows, generated on-the-fly to minimize bandwidth usage.
- Administer the server through a custom-built web interface.
- Chat with FTP clients and view session logs in real time.
- Customize FTP command responses.
- Create custom limits and rules at a granular level to control resource usage on the server.
- Connect securely using SSL/TLS or SSH2.
- Use third party digital certificates to guarantee the identity of the server to clients.
- Host multiple domains on the same IP address and port.
- Use multiple sources of authentication on the same domain (local user database, NT/SAM, ODBC).
- Automatically build the tables necessary for ODBC authentication.
You can test both editions in a non-production environment for a limited period of time. After the evaluation period expires, a commercial license or maintenance renewal provides you with free software updates and technical support through email, phone, or both, depending on your edition, for the duration of the associated maintenance plan.