Scan nodes for applications to apply templates automatically in SAM
SolarWinds SAM can scan nodes for you and automatically assign the application monitors it deems suitable for each scanned node. You select the nodes to be scanned, the application monitor templates to use in the scan, and the scanning parameters to determine a match. When the Application Discovery wizard runs, SAM compares applications located on nodes with the parameters to automatically assign monitors.
You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform these actions.
You cannot scan for user experience (UX) monitors, but you can assign them to nodes manually. Adding monitors from this page does not affect your scan.
To scan nodes, discover applications, and assign monitors:
- Click Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Click Scan Nodes for Applications.
- Browse or filter to select nodes to scan. You can select all or pick and choose from lists. The number of nodes selected lists on the page. Click Next.
- Browse, filter, and select the applications you want to scan for. These applications have associated monitors. Expand the Advanced Scan Settings to set the exactness for matches. Click Next.
To minimize scan time, limit the number of templates in your first scan. To see more templates, select a different template group from the Show Only list.
- Exact Match: All the components must match to assign the template.
- Strong Match: Most of the components must match to assign the template.
- Partial Match: Some of the components must match to assign the template.
- Minimal Match: At least one component must match to assign the template.
- Some SAM templates require credentials either to access restricted resources, or to run within the context of a specific user. To scan for these templates, add the necessary credentials to the list, moving them into an order for using. If a template you are scanning for requires credentials, the credentials in this list are tried in the order in which they appear. You can add credentials or allow credentials to inherit from the node's local credentials. Click Next.
If you have domains sharing user names with different passwords, we recommend you run separate application discoveries for each domain.
Credentials are tried several times over the course of a scan. If the credentials are incorrect, the account can become locked due to the amount of failures. To avoid potential account lockouts that affect actual users, use service accounts created specifically for use during monitoring. With service accounts, no actual user is affected by an account lockout if a password is entered incorrectly.
- Review the selected options before scanning. If the automatic discovery matches templates already assigned to the node, the template is not automatically assigned a second time. To assign duplicate templates, select Yes, Assign Anyway from the Do you want to assign duplicates list.
- Click Start Scan to start the discovery and assignments.
- The scan runs in the background. A message appears at the top of the Orion Web Console when scanning is complete. Click View results to see the results of the scan.
You can modify the assigned applications monitors via the Manage Application Monitors page, accessible by clicking Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Application Monitors.