Manage Asset Inventory in SAM
As you add more hardware, software, and applications to your environment, your assets increase along with the need to adjust the existing setup to expand and scale your infrastructure. To keep up, you must proactively monitor hardware and application health, while at the same time maintaining an up-to-date inventory of all your IT assets.
To handle these demands, you can use SAM's Asset Inventory dashboard to maintain a current and detailed inventory of a node's hardware and software, including both physical and virtual assets. This information can also benefit those interested in tracking asset depreciation, gathering information for insurance purposes, or managing and maintaining your infrastructure.
Additional benefits of the Asset Inventory dashboard include:
- Gain visibility into current hardware and software on a node.
- Track warranty information for critical hardware components.
- Be notified about important software, OS, and firmware updates.
- Monitor overall hardware life cycles and maintenance timelines.
- Determine when OS updates were applied to servers.
Here are some examples of asset inventory data collected in SAM:
To get started using the Asset Inventory feature:
- Review Asset Inventory polling requirements.
- Download and configure third-party agent software on servers. Click here for details.
- Run Discovery to detect agent software and enable Asset Inventory polling across multiple nodes automatically.
When Asset Inventory polling is enabled for discovered nodes, hardware health monitoring is also enabled but either feature can be used on its own.
Polling jobs begin immediately, and are later scheduled to occur at random times over a 24-hour period. Data collected depend on the polling method used to collect data from the node.
Up to 2100 WMI nodes can be monitored on a single polling engine. If you exceed that limit, consult the Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds products.