Poll devices with SolarWinds Orion agents
This topic applies to all Orion Platform products except for the following products:
EOC — ETS — IPAM — NCM — NTA — UDT — VNQM — WPM
An agent is software that provides a communication channel between the Orion server and a Windows
- Polling hosts and applications behind firewall NAT or proxies.
- Polling nodes and applications across multiple discrete networks that have overlapping IP address space.
- Secure, encrypted polling over a single port.
- Support for low bandwidth, high latency connections.
- Polling nodes across domains where no domain trusts have been established.
- Full, end-to-end encryption between the monitored host and the main polling engine.
You can monitor servers hosted by cloud-based services such as Amazon EC2, Rackspace, Microsoft Azure, and other Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS).
After deployment, all communication between the Orion server and the agent occur over a fixed port. This communication is fully encrypted using 3072-bit TLS encryption. The agent protocol supports NAT traversal and passing through proxy servers that require authentication.