Modify global agent deployment and update settings
This topic applies only to the following Orion Platform products:
ACM — DPAIM — LA — NAM — NOM — NPM — SAM — SCM — SRM — VMAN*
Before you deploy agents or upgrade your Orion server, review the global agent settings to make sure the settings are appropriate for your environment. Additional agent settings can be modified locally on the agent.
Navigate to the Agent Settings page
- Click Settings > All Settings in the menu bar.
- Under Product Specific Settings, click Agent Settings.
- Click Define Global Agent Settings.
Allow automatic agent registration
Select this option to register agents with the Orion server automatically when you use an Orion account without Administrator Rights to install agents. Registered agents can communicate with the Orion server.
When this setting is not selected and you install agents with a non-Orion administrator account, you must register waiting agents manually. Click Settings > All Settings > Manage Agents > Add Agent > Connect to a previously installed agent.
Agents installed using an Orion administrator account always attempt to register the agents automatically.
Automatically create node
When you deploy an agent on a new node, the node is automatically added to your Orion server.
Allow automatic agent updates
(Recommended, enabled by default) Select this option to automatically upgrade the agent software when updates are available. This process pushes a new version of the agent to client computers over the agent communication channel. After the agent receives the new version, it updates itself. This process typically does not require rebooting.
- If you do not enable this option, you will need to manually upgrade agents during product upgrades.
- If you have deployed a large number of agents and you have had bandwidth issues in the past, you may want to disable this option when you upgrade your products and manually upgrade agents in batches.
- Outdated agents may not be able to communicate with the server. Ensure all agent versions match the version of the server.
Control the length of time the agents are considered new in the Manage Agents list.