Ensure HA servers have complete firmware vulnerability data
If you have implemented High Availability (HA) backup servers in your SolarWinds deployment, you must make sure that all servers have comprehensive firmware vulnerability data. When a failover occurs, the new server will not have the latest
VulnData.sdf file. When the nightly update occurs, by default NCM downloads only recently added or updated vulnerability data, so the data will still be incomplete.
To ensure that your HA backup servers have complete firmware vulnerability data when a failover occurs, SolarWinds recommends that you add the data feeds from this year and last year to your HA backup servers.
- Find the URL of the NIST vulnerability feeds for this year and last year:
- Go to the JSON Vulnerability Feeds page on the NIST site: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/data-feeds#JSON_FEED
- In the row for the current year's CVE file, hover over the ZIP file link in the NVD JSON 1.1 Schema column.
Right-click the link and choose Copy Link Address.
- Add the link to the NCM Firmware Vulnerability Settings:
- Click Settings > All Settings.
- Under Product Specific Settings, click NCM Settings.
- Under Advanced, click Firmware Vulnerability Settings.
- In the Vulnerability Data Import Settings section, click Add New.
- Paste the link address that you copied in the previous step.
Repeat these steps to add the feed for the previous year.
- Test the URLs you added.
- Click Submit to save the updated settings.