Custom properties and custom fields
With the release of version 4.8 of IPAM, Custom Properties replace Custom fields. Custom Properties are used throughout the Orion platform, enabling you to set up user-defined fields such as country, building, room, asset tag, or serial number, that you can associate with monitored network objects from nodes to IP addresses.
Any custom fields create in earlier versions of IPAM will be automatically converted to custom properties in IPAM 4.8.
For more information on Custom properties, and its use throughout the Orion Platform, see Custom properties in the Orion Platform Administrator Guide.
Custom fields in IPAM 4.7 and earlier
If you are using IPAM 4.7 or earlier, custom fields are similar to the custom properties that are used throughout the Orion platform and other products, except that they are used specifically in IPAM for adding user-defined fields in IP addresses, groups, supernets, subnets, DHCP servers, and scope, and SNSA servers and zones.
In version 4.7 and earlier, Custom Property Editor capabilities are not integrated with the Orion IPAM module.
To add a custom field for use in IPAM:
- Go to Settings > All Settings > IPAM Settings.
- Click Manage IPAM Custom Fields.
The Custom Fields page is displayed. Any custom fields that have already been created are displayed.
- Click Add.
- The Edit Custom Field page is displayed.
- Enter a name for this field in the Database column if you do not what to use the default column name. The name must be a single string without any spaces.
- (Optional) Enter a description.
- Select the field type:
- Text: the field will contain plain text.
- URL: the field will contain a hyperlink.
The Custom Fields page is displayed, listing the new field.
Once you have created a custom field, it will displayed in the Custom Fields section of the selected IPAM entity.