Before you can begin analyzing data exported by your NetFlow-enabled routers and switches, you must capture the flows. Complete the following tasks before you attempt to monitor data with NetFlow Realtime.
- Modify the configuration of your NetFlow device to ensure it is exporting NetFlow data.
Due to the large number of different routers and switches that can export NetFlow data, consult your Cisco device documentation for instructions to enable NetFlow data export. A technical reference is available on the SolarWinds website. For more information, see Enable NetFlow and NetFlow Data Export on Cisco Catalyst Switches.
- Ensure you know the listening port for NetFlow data.
This port is part of the configuration of the NetFlow device.
- Ensure you know the IP address or host name of the NetFlow device.
- Ensure you know the community string or SNMP version 3 credentials.
Capture NetFlow data
- Open SolarWinds Engineer's Toolset > Cisco Tools > NetFlow Realtime.
- In the Listen on port field, specify the listening port for exported NetFlow data.
- Click Add NetFlow Device (), and then specify the following information on the NetFlow Device Credentials window.
- IP address or host name of the NetFlow device
- Community string or SNMPv3 credentials.
If NetFlow Realtime is able to communicate with NetFlow data, a green check mark is displayed in the Sending NetFlow column of the NetFlow Analyzer user interface.