Orion Platform Migration Guide
This topic applies to all Orion Platform products.
Welcome to the Orion Platform Migration Guide. Review the following sections to find out whether you need to migrate your Orion Platform products and databases and follow the links to instructions specific for your situation.
Do I need to migrate?
You may need to migrate your products or SQL database to new servers or SQL versions for many reasons.
Is this your situation:
- My product version hardware, server OS, or SQL requirements may have changed. See the minimum requirements for your product and the multi-module guidelines to start planning.
End-of-support notice for Orion Platform 2018.4 and future versions
- Orion Platform 2018.4 products are no longer compatible with Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2.
- Orion Platform 2018.4 products are no longer compatible with SQL Server 2012, 2012 SP1, 2012 SP2, 2012 SP3, and 2012 SP4.
- I may need new servers for space and better performance. For example, your SQL or Flow Storage database server may be running out of space.
- I may need to migrate products to a shared or dedicated server. For example, NCM 7.4.X and NPM 11.5.X merged to work from the same SQL database and main server/poller. This may require extended or new servers.
- I may be adding a new database. For example, NTA 4.0 through 4.2.3 adds a new Flow Storage database that works best on a dedicated server.
- I want to move to a new server type. For example, moving to VMs from physical servers may be a better for your environment.
Migrating and upgrading? We recommend upgrading to the most recent versions of SolarWinds products that your servers will support, and then migrating.
- Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with the same IP and hostname
- Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with a new IP or hostname
Migrate SQL database
- Migrate the SolarWinds Orion SQL database to a new server
- Migrate the SolarWinds SQL database to Azure SQL
- Migrate the NTA Flow Storage database to a different SQL server (NTA 4.4 and later)
Migrate NTA Flow Storage database
Instructions below are valid for NTA versions 4.0 through 4.2.3 with the NTA Flow Storage database running on FastBit. For instructions on migrating the NTA Flow Storage database for NTA 4.4 and later, see Move the NTA Flow Storage database to a different SQL server in the section above.
- Migrate the NTA Flow Storage database to a new remote server
- Migrate the NTA Flow Storage database from a remote server to the local disk
- Migrate the NTA Flow Storage database to another disk drive on the same server