Monitor virtual infrastructure
This Orion Platform topic applies only to the following products:
NAM — NPM — SAM — SRM — VMAN
It is available as a feature of SolarWinds NPM or SolarWinds SAM, in integration with SolarWinds VMAN, or as a standalone solution.
VIM monitors the following:
- ESXi and ESX Server version 4.1 or later
- VMware vSphere version 4.1 or later
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server versions 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2
Prerequisites to monitoring virtual infrastructure
- SolarWinds NPM or SolarWinds VIM is installed.
- SNMP on your virtual servers is enabled.
- VMware Tools are installed on all virtual machines you want to monitor.
If your virtual machines are on monitored ESXi and ESX servers, VMware Tools are not a requirement but provide access to additional information, such as IP addresses.
- ESX credentials on ESX servers are created.
- Your virtual infrastructure is discovered.