This topic introduces SEM reports and describes how to log in to the SEM reports application.
See Install the SEM reports application in the SEM Installation Guide if you have not yet installed the reports application.
SEM reports overview
The SEM reports application converts SEM database data into information that can be used to troubleshoot and identify network problems. Run reports on your Security Event Manager database to view events and trends and make informed decisions about your network activity. You can run over 200 standard and industry-specific reports that can help you make informed decisions about your network security.
About report categories
SEM reports are organized into categories:
- Standard Reports ship with SEM. Most standard reports capture specific event data that occurs during a particular period.
- Industry Reports support the compliance and auditing needs of certain industries (such as financial services and healthcare), and the accountability requirements of publicly-traded companies.
- Custom Reports display reports you created to meet a specific need.
- Favorite Reports displays the standard, industry, and custom reports you use most often. You can add and remove reports to this category as needed.
Standard and Custom reports are essentially the same report. The only difference is that Custom reports are undocumented and created specifically by (or for) you.
About report levels
There are three SEM report levels:
- A master report is a standard report that includes a series of subtopics, where each subtopic contains a specific set of details about the higher-level master topic. Together, these topics create the report, similar to chapters in a book. Master reports include a graphical summary page.
- A detail report is a report that includes all events and event details.
A top report includes the top events for a selected category.
About scheduled and on-demand reports
The reports application can run scheduled or on-demand reports:
- Scheduled reports are reports you configure to automatically run on their own, on a particular schedule, and without intervention.
- On-demand reports are reports you run only when you need them.
SolarWinds recommends identifying who needs to receive performance or status reports, and how often they should receive them.
After you run a report, you can print it or export it to several supported formats, including PDF and Microsoft Word).
Launch Reports as an administrator the first time you run the application. Depending on your Windows security set up, you may always need to run reports using the Run as administrator option. See To automatically Run as administrator every time you run Reports for help.
Log in to a Windows computer that has the SEM reports application.
Click Start, and then select All Programs.
Choose the SolarWinds folder, and then click the Reports shortcut.
The SEM reports application opens.
- Right-click the Reports application icon.
- On the Shortcut tab, click Advanced.
- Select the Run as administrator check box, and then click OK.