Use the Application Discovery wizard to add multiple nodes in SAM
You can use the Application Discovery wizard to scan nodes and automatically assign the application monitor templates it deems suitable for each scanned node. You control the nodes to be scanned, the templates that can be assigned, and the scanning parameters that determine a match.
Before proceeding, note the following details:
- In larger environments, adding many applications at once can take a great deal of time. Consider limiting parameters.
- Some application monitor templates require credentials either to access restricted resources, or to run within the context of a specific user. If your domains share user names with different passwords, SolarWinds recommends running this wizard separately for each domain.
For a quick overview, watch this video (4:21).
To use the Application Discovery wizard:
- Click Settings > All Settings > Discovery Central.
- On the Discovery Central page, scroll down and click Discover Applications.
- On the Select Nodes tab, select a Group By value, expand the node groups, select the nodes you want to scan, and then click Next.
- Select the applications to locate in the scan. You can use the Show only drop-down list to filter the application monitor template list.
To adjust the template assignment criteria, expand Advanced Scan Settings and move the slider to the desired setting:
- Minimal Match - At least one component must match to assign the template.
- Partial Match - Some of the components must match to assign the template.
- Strong Match - Most of the components must match to assign the template.
- Exact Match - All components must match to assign the template.
- Click Next to advance to the Enter Credentials tab.
- Some application monitor templates require credentials either to access restricted resources, or to run within the context of a specific user. To scan for these templates, add the necessary credentials to the list. If a template you are scanning for requires credentials, the credentials in this list are tried in the order in which they appear.
- If your domains share user names with different passwords, SolarWinds recommends that you run separate application discoveries for each domain. After entering credentials, click Next.
Credentials are tried several times during a scan, so an incorrect password may lock out an account. To avoid potential account lockouts that affect actual users, SolarWinds recommends that you create and use service accounts for monitoring purposes. That way, no actual user will be affected by an account lockout if a password is entered incorrectly.
- Review the summary for the scan. If the wizard finds templates that are already assigned to the node, by default the template is not assigned a second time. If you want to assign duplicate templates, select "Yes, Assign Anyway" from the duplicates list.
- Click Start Scan to begin the scan, which runs in the background. To check the progress, click the Bell icon at the top of the page.
A message appears when scanning is complete. Click More Details to see the results of the scan. Click Application Summary to display the summary page.