Migrate the ARM database to a new SQL server
If you want to migrate the ARM database for example from the integrated SQL Server Express Edition to another instance or higher version of SQL server, you may need to transfer the database.
Identify currently used credentials, SQL server and authentication method
- Start the ARM Configuration application.
- Click Basic Configuration on the homescreen.
- Find the needed information in the section ARM Server and SQL Server.
Stop the ARM service on the ARM server
This step is for ensuring that nobody uses ARM during the migration.
- Start the
- Right-click ARM-Service.
- Select Stop from the context menu.
Create a backup of the ARM database using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
You can download the SQL Server Management Studio from Microsoft. Please see: Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) (© 2020 Microsoft, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-2017, obtained an February 17, 2020).
- Open SSMS and log in to the instance where the ARM database is currently stored (as identified in the first step).
- In the Object Explorer expand Databases.
- Right-click the ARM database.
- From the context menu select Tasks > Back Up...
- Click OK.
- Set Backup type to Full.
- Set Destination to Disk.
- Add a Destination. We recommend to use the default path for backups, for example:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Backup\. Add the extension .bak to the file name.
- Optional: Remove backup destinations that are not needed.
- Click OK.
You can find additional information in the article Create a Full Database Backup (© 2020 Microsoft, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/backup-restore/create-a-full-database-backup-sql-server?view=sql-server-2017#SSMSProcedure, obtained an February 17, 2020).
Copy the backup file
Once the backup is complete copy the backup file (.bak) to the default backup folder of the new instance.
Restore the ARM database to the new instance
- Connect the object explorer in SSMS to the new instance to which the ARM database is to be moved.
- Right-click the node Databases.
- From the context menu select Restore Database...
- Select Source Device.
- Click the button with the three dots to select backup devices.
- Set Backup media type to File.
- Select the file and set the path to the copied backup file (.bak).
- Click OK.
- Optional: You can change the name of the database.
- Click OK.
You can find additional information in the article Restore a Database Backup Using SSMS (© 2020 Microsoft, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/backup-restore/restore-a-database-backup-using-ssms?view=sql-server-2017, obtained an February 17, 2020).
Login permissions on the new SQL server instance
Once the restore is complete check/set the Login properties on the new instance. You can use an existing login or create a new one. We recommend the use of a service account.
- In the object explorer expand Security > Logins.
- Double-click on the login that you want to use for ARM.
- Select User Mapping.
- Select the restored database.
- Activate db_owner.
Edit the ARM server configuration file
Log in to the ARM server with administrator privileges.
pnServer.config.xml file located under
%ProgramData%\protected-networks.com\8MAN\cfg, for example by copying it.
pnServer.config.xml file as follows:
- Open the
pnServer.config.xmlfile with administrator privileges.
- Delete the database and the credentials tags (including tag content).
- Save your changes.
Start the ARM service on the ARM server
- Start the
- Right-click ARM-Service
- Select Start from the context menu.
Re-enter the Basic Configuration
Start and log in to the ARM configuration application. The configuration application switches to the Basic Configuration automatically. This may take a few seconds.
- Re-enter the credentials for Active Directory. You can use the same credentials as before the migration. We recommend the use of a service account. In case of Windows authentication, these credentials are also used for the SQL login.
- Enter the new SQL server name, instance, database name and in case of SQL server authentication the SQL login credentials.
- Check if your settings are valid.
- Save the new Basic Configuration.
The ARM service will restart. This may take a while. During the restart the connection between the ARM server and the configuration application will be lost. A warning in a red frame will be displayed. This is the expected behavior. Please be patient.