Release date: December 15, 2020
These release notes describe improvements, upgrade tips, fixed issues, and known issues in SolarWinds Web Performance Monitor 2020.2.2.
Improvements in this service release include:
- macOS support: Create recordings on remote macOS systems.
- For installation, see Deploy Web Transaction Recorders to remote systems.
- To compare features with the existing recorders, see About supported WPM recorders.
- Increased FIPS support:
Note the following details about this service release:
- Use the WPM 2020.2 System Requirements.
- WPM 2020.2.2 consumes Orion Platform 2020.2.1, which includes Orion Platform hotfixes released on or before December 15, 2020.
- For release notes from earlier WPM versions, see Previous versions.
- Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 remains available so WPM 2.2.3 customers can upgrade to the latest version of WPM. SQL Server 2012 is also supported.
SolarWinds recommends using the latest Web Transaction Recorder for Windows and macOS, instead of the Deprecated WPM Recorder. Future releases may not support the ability to edit recordings or play transactions that originate in the Deprecated WPM Recorder.
To install WPM, review system requirements and use the SolarWinds Orion Installer, which you can download from the SolarWinds Customer Portal. See the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide to learn how to prepare your environment and use the Orion Installer.
After installing WPM on the Orion server, you can deploy Web Transaction Recorders and the WPM Player service to remote systems to get an accurate sampling of your websites and services from the viewpoint of your end users. See the WPM Getting Started Guide for details.
To prepare for the upgrade:
- Read these Release Notes.
- Confirm that all servers comply with WPM 2020.2 System Requirements.
- (Optional) Back up any custom code, such as modified SolarWinds .css files or added .js files. Click here for tips.
In addition, note the following details:
- To migrate WPM as part of an upgrade, see the Orion Platform Migration Guide. Be sure to update SEUM agents to point to new EngineIDs, as described here.
- If currently using WPM 2.2.2 or earlier, upgrade to WPM 2.2.3 first, and then upgrade from WPM 2.2.3 to the latest version.
- Transactions based on recordings created in WPM 2020.2 and earlier may behave differently if FIPS mode is enabled.
- When deploying updated WPM Players to remote systems, the following Windows settings are adjusted:
- Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service: The Startup Type is set to Manual on the Orion server and any Additional Polling Engines (APEs). On remote systems, the Startup Type is set to Automatic.
- SolarWinds WPM Playback Player service: A dependency with the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service is added.
How to upgrade
- Use the SolarWinds Orion Installer to upgrade your entire Orion deployment, including all Orion Platform products and any scalability engines.
Alternatively, click Settings > My Orion Deployment to upgrade from within the Orion Web Console.
- Update Web Transaction Recorders and WPM Players on remote systems. See the WPM Getting Started Guide.
- If you migrate WPM during an upgrade, update EngineIDs for SEUM agents, as described here.
|Minimal, Maximal, and Average Duration data on Performance Analysis (PerfStack) charts no longer display extra time shifts related to unnecessary time zone calculations.|
|The Deprecated WPM Recorder calculates playback duration time without System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException errors.|
|A Chromium playback mechanism was updated so transactions proceed with correct URLs after upgrading from WPM 2019.4.1 to WPM 2020.2.|
See also Orion Platform hotfix release notes
|Transactions played back on the WPM Player have a smaller screen size than when created in the Deprecated WPM Recorder.||Recordings created in WPM 2.2.3 and earlier don’t store original screen sizes. For a workaround, click here.|
|Transactions based on recordings created in the Deprecated WPM Recorder that involve certificates may cause a WPM Player to crash on Windows Server 2016 Standard, Windows Server 2019 Standard, or Windows 10 v. 1607 or later||Click here for a workaround that adds the monitored page as a trusted site.|
|The Deprecated WPM Recorder doesn't count duration time on web pages with automated redirects.||If a recording navigates to a web page that includes a redirect to another web page, the time spent navigating to the first web page is not included in the overall duration time. Click here for a workaround.|
|Web Transaction Recorder may stop responding if invalid credentials are provided.||If you enter invalid credentials for a recording to which multiple authentications were applied, the Web Transaction Recorder may switch to an unusable state that displays a "Digest" graphic.|
|If using Image Match with Basic Authentication, dynamic iFrame pages appear blank during action-by-action playback.||In the Web Transaction Recorder, if you navigate to a dynamic iFrames page while using Image Match with Basic Authentication and click the Play action-by-action tool, the page that WPM tries to authenticate does not display any content.|
|Some WPM pages and widgets aren't compatible with Internet Explorer (IE) 11.||Warning messages may appear when using IE 11 with features introduced in WPM 2020.2 or later. Use Chrome, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge for the optimum WPM experience in the Orion Web Console.|
|Invalid time calculated for steps with implicit navigation in the Web Transaction Recorder.||Recordings that include implicit navigation (for example, navigate to a page and download images with delays of up to 5 seconds each), the time calculated for the implicit steps may not be accurate.|
|Page titles do not appear in the Recorded Steps pane of the Web Transaction Recorder when using links to navigate to different tabs on the same page.||This occurs if WPM cannot access the
|WPM Player service restarts and reconnects after agent communication exceptions||If the WPM Player service is overloaded, fatal exceptions can cause the service to restart as it dispositions WPM worker processes. Click here for a workaround.|
|After exporting a recording with Image Match steps from the Deprecated WPM Recorder, error occurs when you try to save the file.||To work around this issue, save the file before you export it.|
|Transaction monitors switch to Unknown, agents stop working, and WPM Players cannot be deployed or updated.||Use the Orion Service Manager to restart services. Click here for details.|
|If you connect a Web Transaction Recorder to your Pingdom account, and the API token is later deleted, a list of recent recordings may not appear the next time you open the recorder. An error similar to the following may appear:
As a workaround, remove both the Orion server and Pingdom configurations from the system hosting the recorder, and then connect the recorder to the Orion server and Pingdom accounts again.
|After upgrading to WPM 2020.2.2 and updating the WPM Player service on remote systems, transactions do not run and messages similar to the following appear:
||As a workaround, navigate to the Manage Transaction Locations page, switch to the Transaction Locations tab, and download the latest WPM Player installation file. When you run the Setup Wizard, select the Repair option. Click here for details.|
See the End of Life Policy to learn more about life cycles for SolarWinds products.
|EoL Announcements||EoE Effective Dates||EoL Effective Dates|
August 25, 2020
End-of-Life (EoL) announcement – Customers on WPM 2.2.3 and earlier should begin transitioning to the latest version of WPM.
November 25, 2020
End-of-Engineering (EoE) – Service releases, bug fixes, workarounds, and service packs for WPM 2.2.3 and earlier will no longer be actively supported by SolarWinds.
November 25, 2021
EoL – SolarWinds will no longer provide technical support for WPM 2.2.3 and earlier.
© 2020 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the prior written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software, services, and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds, its affiliates, and/or its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON THE DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NONINFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design, Orion, and THWACK trademarks are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks, service marks, and logos may be common law marks or are registered or pending registration. All other trademarks mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and are trademarks of (and may be registered trademarks) of their respective companies.