Before you begin
When setting up your SWSD you want to consider the following:
How can the SolarWinds Service Desk improve IT service management throughout my organization?
- Incident management consolidates, manages, and prioritizes incoming tickets.
- Highlights areas that need improvement to run more efficiently.
- Service catalog standardizes service request and fulfillment processes.
- Fully integrated IT asset management compiles hardware, software, POs, and more.
- The IT service desk can quickly restore the end user to productivity
- Using problem resolution
- End-user education
- and when necessary, generating a workarounds.
To maximize efficiency of services, you have to understand the end-user experience and meet their technological needs. By tracking tickets and identifying recurring issues, maintaining services up to date with current technologies, the service desk assures:
- Smooth continuity of services.
- Service portal for users to have a single place to submit tickets and requests.
Factors to consider
If you are eager to begin, keep in mind the following points while setting up your SWSD:
- What is the basic setup within the organization?
- How do I best manage all my ITAM and ITSM needs to meet organizational goals?
- Do I need a high level of confidentiality between my departments?
- Can IT access HR files?
Based on the answers to the questions above and additional organizational factors, I see it may benefit the organization to maintain more than one Service Desk account. For example: It is beneficial to separate accounts between different departments (IT vs.HR). HR requires a high level of confidentiality that would prohibit IT staff from accessing any of the HR related service records. You can have the HR account administrator for the HR service desk account, be a member of the HR team rather than the IT team, to prevent IT from accessing unauthorized data. For more information on managing multiple accounts, click here.
For detailed setup instructions, please click here to go directly to the Setup in the Administrator Guide.
For a quick start guide to get you up and running, click here.