Welcome to SolarWinds Service Desk!
This guide is geared to SolarWinds Service Desk (SWSD) Administrators to assist with onboarding. To maximize efficiency of services, you have to clearly understand the end-user experience to meet their technological needs.
During the onboarding we will first focus on the end user service portal
which includes but is not limited to areas such as:
- Review of the end user portal
- Service Desk setup
- and more...
Your SolarWinds Service Desk is designed to improve IT service management throughout your organization.
This is accomplished via multiple factors such as:
- Monitoring current IT processes
- Assessing trends
- Highlighting areas that need improvement
Analysis of such areas help you run your organization more efficiently.
Factors to Consider
When set up optimally, the IT service desk and AI tools quickly restore the end user to productivity. This can be accomplished via numerous features of your service desk such as:
- Providing a user friendly Service Portal where end users can:
- Open incidents
- Open service requests
- Find Knowledge Base articles and FAQs
- and more...
- Setting up automations to ensure prompt ticket handling
- Setting up workflow processes to streamline actions
To maximize efficiency of services, you have to clearly understand the end-user experience to meet their technological needs. This is best accomplished by:
- Tracking tickets
- Identifying recurring issues
Maintaining services up to date with current technologies
The above items all factor in to assure smooth continuity of services.
Before you begin
Consider the following details in order to maximize the benefits of your SWSD:
- Who will be utilizing the Service Desk
- End User
- Agents/Technicians - Depending on the organization, these are the individuals that will be addressing and resolving the tickets, change requests etc.
Let's look at the basic setup within the organization.
- How do I best manage all my ITAM and ITSM needs to meet organizational goals?
- Do I need a high level of confidentiality between my departments? Can IT access HR files?
Based on the answers to the questions above and additional organizational factors, I see it may benefit the organization to maintain more than one Service Desk account.
- It is beneficial to separate accounts between different departments (IT vs.HR).
HR requires a high level of confidentiality that would prohibit IT staff from accessing any of the HR related service records. You can have the HR account administrator for the HR service desk account, be a member of the HR team rather than the IT team, to prevent IT from accessing unauthorized data.
An important additional element of the SWSD is the end user Service Portal. Understanding how your end users and agents/technicians will interact with the platform.
Before beginning the Service Desk setup, let's take a quick look at the end user service portal to gain a deeper understanding of how your users will interact with the platform. From here, you can determine, based on end user and organizational needs, how to best set up areas of the service desk such as:
- Creating specific change request forms
- Defining workflow process
- Automating ticket routing
- Creating custom forms
- Adding custom fields
Including custom dependencies and so much more.
If your goal is to utilize the SWSD to maintain a single area of your organization, simply login to SolarWinds Service Desk (SWSD).
For more information on managing multiple accounts, click here.
Enter your account email (which is your login ID) and password.
Upon accessing the SWSD as an Administrator, hover over the Menu icon and scroll down to the last option, then click Setup
Notice both the Setup menu on the left pane and the tiles on the right provide access to the setup areas needed to define your Service Desk parameters. In addition, there is a helpful search bar. By entering keywords such as Users, Service Desk, Custom Forms etc. you can navigate directly to the desired setup screen.
To continue to the next step of the setup menu click here for Account details