SRM 6.8 Release Notes
Release date: March 12, 2019
These release notes describe the new features, improvements, and fixed issues in Storage Resource Monitor 6.8. They also provide information about upgrades and describe workarounds for known issues.
If you are looking for previous release notes for Storage Resource Monitor, see Previous Version documentation.
New features and improvements in SRM
Read this section for descriptions of the new features and improvements SRM offers in this release, and compare this release with previous releases of SRM.
Storage Resource Monitor (SRM) 6.8 includes the following features:
Support for new arrays
This release of SRM adds supports for the additional array types:
- Kaminario K2
The full list of supported arrays can be found here.
Additional hardware health monitoring
This release of SRM adds supports for the hardware health monitoring for the following arrays:
- Dell Compellent
- HP 3PAR / StoreServ
The full list of arrays that support hardware health monitoring can be found here.
New customer installation
To install SRM, use the SolarWinds Orion Installer, see the new multi-product installer guide, and refer to the SRM Getting Started Guide to learn about configuring and customizing SRM.
Use the SolarWinds Orion Installer to install and upgrade one or more Orion Platform products simultaneously in your environment. When installing new products into an existing Orion environment, the Orion Installer verifies compatibility between the product versions and notifies you if additional steps are needed. The Orion Installer also supports upgrades from older versions of the software with a generated upgrade path, merging the capabilities of the Product Upgrade Advisor into the installer.
- .NET 4.6 is required to use the new installer and will be downloaded when you run the installer. Do not stop the installation after installing .NET 4.6 due to compatibility issues with older versions of SolarWinds software. A reboot may be required after installing .NET.
- To eliminate compatibility issues, all required Orion Platform products are upgraded when you complete the Orion Installer.
- Installs or upgrades all products from a single screen. You do not need to download files for each product.
- Provides an easy-to-follow install path when required. If you upgrade from an older product version, the installer provides upgrade paths custom-made for your current environment so you can complete complex upgrades and installations with ease.
- Runs preflight checks to ensure your environment specifications match the system requirements for selected product installs. If changes are needed, the installer provides guidance for required versions.
- Automatically starts the Configuration Wizard as needed after product installs to complete database and configuration tasks.
Before you upgrade!
Use the following resources for planning and upgrading:
- SRM 6.8 requires Orion Platform 2018.4 or newer
- SRM requires Windows SQL Server 2014 or newer and Windows Server 2016 or newer.
- When upgrading, if you added a site binding to a host name before you upgrade, you must bind the Orion Web Console to a fully qualified domain name (FQDN). See this article.
- When upgrading with custom menus, you may not be able to see the Performance Dashboard link in the menu.
- When upgrading an Additional Poller, you may receive this error: "The license we have for Orion Scalability Engine is outdated".
- If you have written your own code, such as changing SolarWinds .css files or adding .js files, it may be overwritten with the upgrade. You can learn more about custom code in this article.
- If you have edited widget properties, the All Groups widget may be empty after upgrading.
- When upgrading, using the group by feature for custom properties may return no results, and the data loading may hang or not complete. All regular functionality is unaffected by the issue.
How to upgrade
If you are upgrading from a previous version, use the following resources for planning and implementation:
- Use the Product Upgrade Advisor to build your upgrade path. The path provides the exact products and versions to upgrade in a sequence to the latest versions.
- If you are upgrading:
- When you are ready, download the upgrade package from the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
SRM 6.8 fixes the following issues.
|00184806, 00222159||Netapp polling works correctly after upgrading to SRM 6.7.|
|00212712||Hardware Health for NetApp working correctly after upgrading.|
|00190896||AppStack shows storage arrays correctly.|
|Dell Compellent SANs are now polled correctly.|
End of life
|Version||EoL Annoucement||EoE Effective Date||EoL Effective Date|
|6.2||September 13, 2017: End-of-Life (EoL) announcement - Customers on Storage Resource Monitor version 6.2.x should begin transitioning to Storage Resource Monitor version 6.5 or higher.||December 13, 2017: End-of-Engineering (EoE) - Service Releases, bug fixes, workaround, and service packs for Storage Resource Monitor version 6.2.x or older will no longer be actively supported by SolarWinds.||December 13. 2018: End-of-Life (EoL) - SolarWinds will no longer provide technical support for Storage Resource Monitor version 6.2.x or older.|
See the End of Life Policy for information about SolarWinds product lifecycle phases. For supported versions and EoL announcements for all SolarWinds products, see Currently supported software versions.
End of support
For information about supported version of SolarWinds products, see Currently supported software versions.
|Microsoft SQL Server||SQL 2008 and 2008 R2 are no longer supported as your database server as of this release. SolarWinds recommends that you upgrade directly to SQL 2016 at your earliest convenience.|
|Microsoft Windows Server||You cannot install SolarWinds Orion products on Windows Server 2008 R2 as of this release. SolarWinds recommends that you upgrade to Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, or 2016 at your earliest convenience.|
|Export to PDF feature||The Export to PDF button is no longer available. SolarWinds recommends that you use the Save as PDF functionality built into your browser.|
© 2019 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the prior written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software, services, and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds, its affiliates, and/or its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON THE DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NONINFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design, Orion, and THWACK trademarks are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks, service marks, and logos may be common law marks or are registered or pending registration. All other trademarks mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and are trademarks of (and may be registered trademarks) of their respective companies.