Serv-U file sharing: the Send Files wizard
By using the File Share outgoing wizard, you can share files by entering the email addresses of your recipients. You can add a message, set your own expiration date, or type a password for security. Finally, you select the files you want to send and complete the share.
Serv-U saves the files and sends an email with web links to each of your recipients.
When your recipients receive their notifications, they click their links, enter any required passwords, and then download their files.
As each file is downloaded, Serv-U updates the information on your share, and may send you email receipts to tell you that your file was downloaded.
You can also create anonymous shares. In this case, you do not have to specify the recipients of the file share. When creating anonymous shares, only a link is generated, which you can then send out manually.
To send files to a guest user:
- Enter the guest user email address.
- Enter an email subject title.
- Enter any additional comments if required.
- Enter your name, email address, and confirm email address.
- Set an expiration date or period for when the link to the download files will expire.
- To be notified when files have been downloaded, select the Notify me option.
- To create an anonymous share, deselect Automatically send the download link to the guest user(s) in an email.
- To require the guest to enter a password before downloading the files, select this option, and enter or generate the password.
You can include the password with the notification, if appropriate.
- Click Next.
- For each file, click Choose File, and select the file.
The files you share this way are virtually linked. If you modify the file, the latest version will be available for guests to download. If you rename or delete the file, it will not be available for guests to download. Guest users are notified when attempting to download or delete a virtually linked file whose name or location changed since the creation of the file share.
You can upload up to 20 files in one file share. The file size you can upload depends on the browser you use. The size limitations mostly apply to older versions of Internet Explorer.
- Click Upload.
After uploading your files and sending them, you will see the File Upload Confirmation page which summarizes the outgoing file upload.
- Click Done to finish.
End users may request files from other people by sending email invites (with options for share expiration dates and password protection). Guests automatically receive a notification inviting them to send files, and the end user will get additional notifications as files are sent.