Release date: February 2021
These release notes describe new features, improvements, and fixed issues in SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor (SAM) 2019.4.2. They also provide information about installation, upgrades, and workarounds for known issues.
SAM 2019.4.2 is a service release. For product details, see documents for the full release:
- SAM 2019.4 System Requirements
- SAM 2019.4 Getting Started Guide
- SAM 2019.4 Administrator Guide
- Orion Platform 2019.4.1 Administrator Guide
SAM 2019.4.2 includes security enhancements and is signed with a new digital code-signing certificate.
To learn more about security enhancements, see the Orion Platform 2019.4.2 Release Notes.
Use the Orion Installer, available in the Customer Portal, to install SAM. See the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide for details. After installation, see the SAM Getting Started Guide to learn how to configure and customize SAM.
To prepare for the upgrade:
- Read these Release Notes.
- Review Prepare to install or upgrade Orion Platform products.
- Confirm that all servers comply with SAM 2019.4 System Requirements.
- (Optional) Back up custom code, such as modified SolarWinds .css files or added .js files. Click here for tips.
If upgrading from a previous version, note the following details:
- To learn about upgrading to a localized version of SAM, see Localized SAM templates in German and Japanese in the SAM 2019.4.1 Release Notes.
- Depending on options selected in the Orion Installer, the Orion Log Viewer replaces legacy Syslog and Traps with an instant evaluation of SolarWinds Log Analyzer (LA).
- To collect trust data for AppInsight for Active Directory, configure domain controllers as GC servers that use the default port, 3268. If domain controllers use port 3269, update that setting in the AppInsight for Active Directory template.
- The Application Dependencies feature is initially disabled to prevent performance issues for environments with large quantities of nodes. To restart polling after an upgrade, enable the Application Dependencies feature.
- If you exceed recommended cloud monitoring limits, you may receive a 503 Service Unavailable error when adding Azure accounts. Click here for a workaround.
- If using the container monitoring feature, rebuild containers and then add container services back into the Orion Platform. Click here for details.
- This service release does not impact Known Issues cited in the 2019.4.1 release notes.
Begin the upgrade
Alternatively, click Settings > My Orion Deployment to upgrade directly from within the Orion Web Console. Starting with SAM 6.9, downloading the Orion Installer is no longer necessary.
- To upgrade SAM and other Orion Platform products, see the Orion Platform Products Installation and Upgrade Guide.
- Do you need to migrate as part of your upgrade? See the Migration Guide.
- To upgrade your scalability engines (Additional Polling Engines, Additional Web Servers, High Availability servers), see Options for upgrading scalability engines.
See the End of Life Policy for details about life cycles for SolarWinds products.
|EoL Announcements||EoE Effective Dates||EoL Effective Dates|
June 4, 2020
End-of-Life (EoL) announcement – Customers on SAM 6.6 and SAM 6.7 should begin transitioning to the latest version of SAM.
September 4, 2020
End-of-Engineering (EoE) – Service releases, bug fixes, workarounds, and service packs for SAM 6.6 and SAM 6.7 will no longer be actively supported by SolarWinds.
September 3, 2021
EoL – SolarWinds will no longer provide technical support for SAM 6.6 and SAM 6.7.
See Currently supported software versions for more information.
© 2021 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.
This document may not be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the prior written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software, services, and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds, its affiliates, and/or its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON THE DOCUMENTATION, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION NONINFRINGEMENT, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design, Orion, and THWACK trademarks are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks, service marks, and logos may be common law marks or are registered or pending registration. All other trademarks mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and are trademarks of (and may be registered trademarks) of their respective companies.