Create custom templates in SAM
Application monitor templates provide a powerful, customizable method to monitor applications in your environment. They help determine where errors occur: in the network or with the application. Every template includes component monitors that return metrics for monitoring performance, troubleshooting, threshold monitoring, and application health.
SAM includes a set of out-of-the-box templates you can immediately assign to application server nodes. For customized monitoring, create new templates based on existing templates or build templates from scratch.
- PowerShell scripting in SAM custom templates
- Nagios scripting in SAM custom templates
- Linux/Unix scripting in SAM custom templates
- Create custom Windows scripts in SAM
Understanding custom templates
A template is a collection of application and component monitors, configuration settings, and scripts that collect and report data for assigned applications and nodes.
The benefit of templates is the inheritance relationship that you can use to control monitoring configurations at different levels. You can assign specific application monitors to nodes for customized monitoring for only that application. Or you can use a template to assign a set of application monitors across multiple nodes.
Note the following details about editing templates:
- If you make a change at the template level, the applications based on that template are affected.
- If you make a change at the assigned application monitor level, only the individual application is affected.
Customize templates in SAM in one of the following ways:
- Extend out-of-the-box templates with new component monitors.
- Create new templates with customized settings and scripts.
- Import templates created by other SAM customers in THWACK.
The following image details the association of templates and component monitors assigned to monitored nodes, reporting data to SAM accessible through the Orion Web Console.
Import and export templates
SAM supports the importing and exporting of templates to and from THWACK, enabling customers and SolarWinds staff to share templates that provide an array of monitoring options. After importing a SAM template into the Orion Web Console, you can further extend and configure component monitors to enhance monitoring features for the template.