Monitor hardware health in SAM
You can use SAM to monitor the health of Dell, HP, HPE ProLiant, IBM, and Cisco UCS server hardware components including temperature, fan speed, power supply, CPU, memory, disk space, and more. SAM provides instant visibility of the status (up, critical or warning), allows you to set baseline values, and alerts you if levels fall below set thresholds.
To get started monitoring hardware health in SAM:
- Review hardware health monitoring requirements.
- Download, install, and configure agent software from third-party vendors so SAM can gather details that are not available natively from server operating systems. Click here for details.
Extra software is not required to monitor Cisco UCS blade server hardware.
- Run Discovery to detect third-party agent software and hardware health sensors on servers. , and automatically enable hardware health monitoring across multiple nodes.
Note the following details about monitoring hardware health:
When Discovery enables hardware health monitoring for eligible devices, Asset Inventory data collection is also enabled to track each node's hardware and software daily.
Both the Hardware Health and Asset Inventory features share the same requirements and can be enabled automatically during Discovery, but they can function independently of each other. For example, you can collect Asset Inventory daily for a node without polling the node for Hardware Health every 10 minutes.
- You can customize the hardware health monitoring interval for a device on its device snapshot page. To change the hardware monitoring interval for a particular device, go to the Hardware tab in the device snapshot page and edit the value for the Interval option. See the Orion Platform Administrator Guide for details.
- Certificate errors found during polling are ignored by default, but you can change that setting.
- For tips on monitoring HPE Proliant servers, see this THWACK post.
For troubleshooting tips, see
Troubleshooting Hardware Health.
- Troubleshooting hardware issues in the Orion Platform (Orion Platform Administrator Guide)
- Difference in Hardware Health by manufacturer and polling method for servers (Success Center)
- Hardware monitoring for HPE Proliant Gen10 (THWACK)
Orion Web Console widgets
To learn about widgets (formerly called "resources") shared by several Orion Platform products, see Orion Platform online help. For example, the following Hardware Health widgets are available in NPM, SAM, and VMAN, and are documented in Orion Platform online help.