Monitor clusters with AppInsight for SQL
Your environment may include clustered SQL servers, perhaps for use with SolarWinds High Availability. These clustered SQL servers can be added and monitored with AppInsight for SQL through SAM.
Agents do not work to poll AppInsight for SQL when the SQL server being monitored is in a cluster.
Before adding the server as a node, verify the credentials and permissions are configured on the target SQL server.
You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform this action.
To view monitored nodes, access the SQL Server page and specific SQL server details pages. See Monitor with AppInsight for SQL for details.
The instance becomes enabled after the first poll, which may take a few minutes.
First, you need the IP address of the cluster.
- Connect to the instance that you want monitor using SQL Management Studio.
- Execute the following query to make sure you have the proper target node and instance name:
Determine the IP address of the target node.
Open a command prompt and ping the server:
ping NAME. For example,
ping P111SQLV23in the following example. The IP address is determined to be 10.1.70.123.
Next, add the node and assign AppInsight for SQL.
- In the Orion Web Console, click Settings > All Settings > Add Node.
Enter the IP address for the SQL cluster for the Polling Hostname or IP Address.
If the IP address represents a cluster, the node name of the active cluster member populates.
SolarWinds recommends changing the node name to something more easily understood during the final step of the Add Node Wizard. For example, for this cluster you could enter the name and (cluster):
- Select a polling method, then select the polling engine for that node.
In the Choose Resources step, select the AppInsight Application for the SQL server to monitor.
- Complete the wizard as instructed to add the node for monitoring.
Navigate to the All Applications widget and click your AppInsight for SQL application to display the Enter Credentials page.
- Enter your SQL credentials and select a port (or use default port).
- Click Test to verify the credentials and configured permissions.
- Click Assign Credential to save and complete configuration.