Use the Application Discovery wizard
You can use the Application Discovery wizard to scan nodes and automatically assign the application monitor templates it deems suitable for each scanned node. You control the nodes to be scanned, the templates that can be assigned, and the scanning parameters that determine a match.
In larger environments, adding many applications at once can take a great deal of time. Consider limiting parameters.
- Click Settings > All Settings > Discovery Central. To use the wizard, scroll down and click Discover Applications.
- Click [+] to expand the node groups, and then select the nodes you want to scan, then click Next.
- Select the applications to locate in the scan. You can use the Show only drop-down list to filter the application monitor template list. As you select templates across the filter groups, they display in the selected applications section.
To adjust the template assignment criteria, expand Advanced Scan Settings and move the slider to the desired setting:
- Minimal Match - At least one component must match to assign the template.
- Partial Match - Some of the components must match to assign the template.
- Strong Match - Most of the components must match to assign the template.
- Exact Match - All components must match to assign the template.
- When you are finished selecting applications, click Next.
- Some application monitor templates require credentials either to access restricted resources, or to run within the context of a specific user. To scan for these templates, add the necessary credentials to the list. If a template you are scanning for requires credentials, the credentials in this list are tried in the order in which they appear.
- If your domains share user names with different passwords, SolarWinds recommends that you run separate application discoveries for each domain. After entering credentials, click Next.
Credentials are tried several times during a scan, so an incorrect password may lock out an account. To avoid potential account lockouts that affect actual users, SolarWinds recommends that you create and use service accounts for monitoring purposes. That way, no actual user will be affected by an account lockout if a password is entered incorrectly.
- Review the summary for the scan. If the automatic discovery matches templates that are already assigned to the node, by default the template is not assigned a second time. If you want to assign duplicate templates, select Yes, Assign Anyway from the Do you want to assign duplicates list.
- Click Start Scan to begin the scan, running in the background. A banner message near the top of the screen indicates progress,
A message appears when scanning is complete. Click More Details to see the results of the scan. Click Application Summary to display the summary page.