Monitor with AppInsight for IIS
AppInsight for IIS automatically monitors your IIS environment to identify IIS server, website, and application pool performance issues. The dashboard provides ease of monitoring with at-a-glance performance metrics for sites and applications pools, updated through access to the IIS. As sites and application pools change through the IIS Manager, the information and connections update in SAM. As you find and fix issues, stop or restart servers and pools as required.
AppInsight for IIS leverages PowerShell to collect data about your IIS servers. You need PowerShell 2.0 or later installed on the Orion server. You also need WinRM installed and configured on the Orion server and monitored IIS servers. For full details, see AppInsight for IIS requirements and permissions.
To start using AppInsight for IIS, review the following topics:
- AppInsight for IIS requirements and permissions
- Configure AppInsight for IIS on nodes
- Advanced manual configuration of AppInsight for IIS
The following AppInsight for IIS reports are included in SAM:
- IIS SSL Certificate Expiration Report
- Site Connections Report
- Site Log Size by File
- Site Size by File
To learn more about AppInsight for IIS, see:
- IIS Web Server Monitoring Tool: AppInsight for IIS (SolarWinds YouTube video
- Geek Speak: IIS Web Server Monitoring: Best Practices (THWACK)
- Monitoring & Alerting on IIS Server Performance (THWACK)
Here are some tips for using AppInsight for IIS:
- For advanced managing of IIS sites, disable sites when unused instead of deleting them.
- To reduce alert noise, disable any alerts associated with those disabled sites.
- Enable sites anytime you need them through the Site Details pages in AppInsight for IIS. This option and others are available in the Management widget per ISS server, site, and application pool.
Navigate to the AppInsight for IIS Details view
Access AppInsight for IIS through the All Applications widget in the SAM Summary page.
The default IIS Application name is Microsoft IIS. You may need to log in with an administrator account to perform these actions.
To view the AppInsight for IIS Details view:
- In the Orion Web Console, click My Dashboards > SAM Summary.
- Locate the All Applications widget and expand the AppInsight for IIS tree by clicking [+].
- Click an IIS application to view it.
The Sites widget lists the sites (both front and backend) for the IIS server. Click a site to view more details such as response time, connections, and requests.
The Application Pools widget lists up to 5 instances of IIS application pools. You can use application pools to separate out applications from one another. If an issue occurs with an application, it may only affect other applications in the pool, not all applications in your environment.
Click a pool to view additional worker process details.
To view the Performance Counter Details view, click a performance monitor in any widget.