Cloud 66 is a DevOps-as-a-Service for Rails, Node, and Docker. The instructions below focus on Rails; Node apps will have a similar setup, but may require some adjustment.
If you don't already have an account, sign up (free).
- Download the template configuration files from the linked Gist to a
.cloud66deployment folder that’s located in the root of your source code.
- Ensure that the latest release of remote_syslog2 will be deployed by modifying the version number contained within the download URL.
Cloud 66 will automatically read the contents of the
.cloud66 directory and apply the details configured above.
The remote_syslog.init.d file by default grabs all the log files in the directory where Cloud 66 stores logs. To add additional files, modify EXTRAOPTIONS (if environment variables are needed to specify file locations) or provide a
files: section in
log_files.yml with absolute paths.
The default deploy hooks run on servers of any
target type, and accomplish two key tasks:
- Install remote_syslog2 (once, on build)
- Copy and prepare the configuration and service files for remote_syslog2 (every deploy)
These hooks can be adjusted to meet the needs of the particular stack, as long as those two objectives are accomplished. For example:
- Some stacks may not require regular updates to remote_syslog2 configuration, so certain steps could be moved to
- Replacing the port number in the YML with the
-pcommand line option and an environment variable in
EXTRAOPTIONSto specify the Papertrail port might be desirable if the app is deployed from a public repo, since port details are account-specific and should not be committed to public repos.