Install an additional polling engine, additional Web server, or high availability server
Use the Orion Installer to install scalability engines (additional polling engines, additional Web servers, and high availability backup servers).
Additional polling engines (APEs) or an additional Web server (AWS) can be used to increase the monitoring capacity of your Orion Platform products. High availability (HA) provides a backup server to protect your main Orion server.
- For more information about options to scale your SolarWinds implementation, see Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds Orion Products.
- For details about implementing High Availability, see the full HA documentation.
- License stacking does not require installing a scalability engine. License stacking increases polling capacity by assigning multiple licenses to a polling engine.
Requirements and recommendations
Before you begin, be sure your scalability engine servers meet the following requirements.
Installing an APE and an AWS on the same host is not supported.
All APEs must be set to the same time zone as the Orion database server.
If APEs and the Orion database server are set to different time zones, polled data can be confusing or misleading. For example, data can have a time stamp that is in the future.
Orion Platform 2017.3 HF3 or later is required to install scalability engines with the Orion Installer.
To determine the Orion Platform version, log in to the Orion Web Console and find the Orion Platform version in the footer. If the version is between 2016.2 and 2017.3 HF2, use the legacy Orion Scalability Engine Installer.
SolarWinds recommends using the online installer to install scalability engines, even if the server does not have access to the Internet. Internet access is not required. When you install a scalability engine, the installer downloads the required product information from your primary Orion server.
Before you install a scalability engine in your environment, complete the following actions:
|Install or upgrade the primary Orion server first. Then install each APE.|
When you install an APE or AWS, verify the port requirements:
|If you are going to install a backup server for High Availability, review the SolarWinds High Availability requirements.|
|Acquire a user name and password with administrative privileges to the Orion Web Console on your primary Orion server.|
|Be sure the APE uses the same SQL Server database as the primary Orion server.|
|Verify the latency between your Orion database server and the APE. Performance degradation can begin around 200 ms. Ping the Orion database server to find the current latency.|
|If you configured an alert with a Send Email action to trigger on a node monitored by an APE, confirm that the APE can access your SMTP server.|
Add the IP address of your APE to Windows Servers on the Security tab.
Make sure that the following options are set:
Task 1: Download the installer
- Download the online installer from either of the following locations:
Download the online installer from the Customer Portal.
To install a scalability engine, the online installer does not require Internet access.
- Log in to the Customer Portal.
- Under Latest Downloads for Your Products, locate one of your Orion Platform products and click Choose.
- In the online installation box, click Download.
- Download the installer through the Orion Web Console:
- Click Settings > All Settings.
- Under Product Specific Settings, click High Availability Deployment Summary.
- Click Set Up a New HA Server.
- Click the How Do I Set It Up tab, and then click Download the Orion HA Installer.
- Click the Download Installer Now button.
- Save the installer on the server where you want to install the APE, AWS, or HA backup server.
Task 2: Run the installer
The installer checks your Main Polling Engine for products and versions, and then it downloads the latest versions and any hotfixes from the Main Polling Engine.
Keep the Orion services running on the Main Polling Engine when installing an Additional Polling Engine or Additional Web Server.
Run the installer
.exefile on your scalability engine server as Administrator.
The Welcome screen is displayed. (If you do not see the Welcome screen, you have already installed Orion Platform components on the server.)
- On the Welcome screen:
- Select Add a Scalability Engine.
Set the Destination Folder.
You cannot install on a remote mapped drive, read-only drive, compressed drive, or compressed HDD.
- Click Next.
Enter the following information, and then click Next:
- IP address or host name of your primary Orion server
- User name and password used to log in to the Orion server
The installer connects to your Orion server and verifies compatibility.
Select the type of scalability engine to install, and then click Next.
Option Description Additional Polling Engine Installs an APE that collects data for any Orion Platform product. Additional Polling Engine for Storage Resource Monitor, Virtualization Manager, or Log Manager for Orion Installs a free APE available to SRM, VMAN, and Log Manager users. These APEs collect only SRM, VMAN, or Log Manager data. Additional Website Installs an Additional Web Server. High Availability - Backup Server for Main Server Protection Installs a secondary server in an HA pair to protect the Orion primary server. All modules that are installed on your primary server will also be installed on this server. High Availability - Backup Server for Orion module Additional Polling Engine(s) Installs a secondary server in an HA pair to protect one or more Additional Polling Engines. High Availability - Backup Server for Storage Resource Monitor or Virtualization Manager Additional Polling Engine(s) Installs a secondary server in an HA pair to protect an SRM or VMAN Additional Polling Engine.
On the System Check page, review the information under System Check Results.
The installer runs a series of checks per product to verify that your server meets system requirements and recommendations. If your environment does not meet specifications, the installer displays one or more messages:
- Informational and warning messages recommend actions and best practices to optimize performance. These do not block the installation.
- Critical issues describe changes that are required to support the products. These block the installation until they are resolved.
Investigate and resolve any issues:
Click the details link to display additional information and suggested resolutions.
- Optionally, click Save Report to save the list of issues.
- After resolving any blocking issues, click Run Checks Again.
- Click Next.
Review the EULA. If you agree, click the accept option, and then click Next.
The Installation page displays progress messages. If the installer encounters any issues, the installation stops so you can resolve them. The installer might run multiple product installations before running the Configuration wizard.
If a reboot is required as part of the installation, a message is displayed.
Task 3: Complete the Configuration wizard
When the installation is complete, the Configuration wizard opens. Depending on the component you installed, the wizard might include additional options and screens.
- In the Welcome dialog box, click Next.
- If prompted to stop services, click Yes.
- On the Database Settings panel:
- Select your existing Orion SQL server.
- Select the authentication method used by your existing Orion database, and enter login credentials if necessary.
- Click Next.
- If you receive a warning message that the user does not have permission to create a new database, click OK.
- Select your existing database from the drop-down menu, and click Next.
- If you receive a message that the user does not have permission to create a new database account, click OK.
- Select your SQL Server account and enter your password.
- At the SNMP Trap Service not disabled message, click Yes.
- Click Next to start the configuration.
Task 4: For an APE, specify the nodes to be polled
If you installed an Additional Polling Engine, specify which nodes you want it to poll.