Configure the Syslog Viewer
This Orion Platform topic applies only to the following products:
ACM — DPAIM — NAM — NCM — NOM — NPM — NTA — SAM — SRM — VNQM
You must be able to log in to the computer running your Orion server.
- Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Syslog Viewer.
- Click File > Settings.
- Click the General tab in the Syslog Server Settings window.
- Adjust the Maximum Number of Messages to Display in Current Messages view slider to set the number of messages you want to display.
- Automatically refresh the current messages view by selecting the option, and setting the refresh rate with the middle slider.
- Adjust Retain Syslog Messages for How Many Days to set the length of time Syslog messages should stay in the database.
This setting significantly affects the database size and performance.
- Click the Displayed Columns tab.
- Use the arrow keys to select and order the fields of information you want to see in the Current Messages view.
Clearing Syslog messages is easier if you add the Acknowledged column to your view.
- To wrap Syslog message text in the Current Messages view, select Word Wrap Long Messages.
- If you do not expect to use the Syslog Viewer as your primary viewer for Syslog messages, select the Message Parsing tab, and select what should be removed:
- Remove embedded Date/Time from Syslog Messages
- Remove Message Type from Syslog Messages
- Remove Domain Name from DNS Lookups.
Removing the added data from each record helps you reduce the size of your SolarWinds Orion database.