Change the agent communication mode on the remote node
This topic applies only to the following Orion Platform products:
ACM — DPAIM — LA — NAM — NOM — NPM — SAM — SCM — SRM — VMAN*
You can change how the agent communicates with the Orion server. You can select server-initiated or agent-initiated communication.
- Log in to the node where the agent is installed.
- Edit the connection settings.
- For Windows, open Orion Agent Settings in the Control Panel.
- For Linux,
suto an account with elevated privileges and type
service swiagentd initin the terminal.
- For AIX, su to an account with elevated privileges and type
/opt/SolarWinds/Agent/bin/swiagentaid.sh swiagentd initin the terminal.
- Select an agent communication mode.
- Agent-initiated communication: The agent initiates communication with the Orion server on port 17778. This port must be open on the Orion server firewall so the agent can connect. No changes to the firewall rules are required on the agent-monitored device.
- Server-initiated communication: The agent waits for requests from the server on a specified port. This port must be open on the firewall of the agent computer so the Orion server can connect. No changes to the firewall rules are required on the Orion server.
- Save your changes.
If you switch from agent-initiated to server-initiated communication, you must register the agent with the Orion server manually.
When communication between the agent and the Orion server is successful, the agent is listed on the Manage Agents page with the updated communication mode.