Top XX Applications in SolarWinds NTA
This resource provides a view of the top XX applications responsible for monitored traffic on your network, ranked in order of traffic volume.
When placed on the Node Details or Interface Details view, this resource provides a view of the applications responsible for the most traffic passing through the viewed node or interface over the selected period of time.
This resource shows only applications whose monitoring has been enabled on the Manage Applications and Service Ports view. Data for ports and applications whose monitoring is not enabled there are collected, aggregated, and shown in the Top XX Applications resource as Unmonitored Traffic. For more information about monitored ports and applications, see Configuring Monitored Ports and Applications.
If you are seeing no data in the Top XX Applications view, make sure you are receiving data for the flow type selected in the top right of the Top Applications panel. If monitoring advanced applications for which you are not seeing a name identified for the application, see NBAR2 Applications for an explanation of how these applications are classified in NTA.
View more details about displayed applications
- Click a listed application to open the NetFlow Applications Summary view that presents statistics for the selected application.
For more details, see NetFlow Application Summary View.
- Click + to expand a listed application and display the list of nodes and their respective interfaces over which the selected application traffic is currently flowing.
- Click a node or interface to display the NetFlow Application detail view showing statistics for the selected application traffic traversing through the appropriate node or interface.
For more details, see NetFlow Application View.
View unmonitored traffic
If there are applications whose monitoring is not enabled in the Manage Applications and Service Ports page, the Top XX Applications resource on a summary view displays the Unmonitored Traffic item. This item aggregates traffic coming from ports or applications whose monitoring is not enabled at the moment.
- Click the Unmonitored Traffic item to go the NetFlow Applications Summary view filtered by unmonitored traffic.
- Consult the Top XX Applications resource. The resource will list unmonitored applications, and allow you to monitor appropriate ports.
Enable monitoring of unmonitored ports
If you are viewing the Top XX Applications resource on an Unmonitored Traffic view, you can enable monitoring of unmonitored ports:
- In the list of unmonitored applications, click Monitor Port to enable monitoring of the port.
- On the Monitor Application window, select the port(s) to monitor.
- Select the Source and Destination IP Address and the protocol to monitor.
- Enter a Description, and then click Add Application to enable monitoring.
You can also enable monitoring for these applications and ports on the Manage Applications and Service Ports page. For more details, see Configuring Monitored Ports and Applications.
Top XX Applications (Endpoint Centric)
You can customize an endpoint-centric version of this resource and place it on the NetFlow Node Details or Interface Details view.
The endpoint-centric Top XX Applications resource provides a ranked list of applications responsible for traffic passing through the specified node or interface.
For more information about adding endpoint-centric resources, see Add endpoint-centric widgets in SolarWinds NTA.
The table below the chart provides the following information:
|Application||The application name with its assigned port number in parentheses.|
Ingress Bytes, Egress Bytes
Ingress Packets, Egress Packets
Displays the amount of data (in bytes and packets) flowing to the selected application through the viewed node or interface.
The columns displayed depend on the flow direction set in the top left corner of the view (either only Ingress Bytes, or only Egress Bytes, or both columns).
Displays the percentage of all traffic through the viewed object attributed to use of the listed application.
The first value describes the percentage of the appropriate item based on items shown by the chart. Individual items in the legend add up 100%. This percentage can be absolute or relative. For more information, see Percentage type for Top XX lists.
A value in parentheses is available only for interfaces. It describes how the appropriate item utilizes the interface bandwidth in percentage.
If the utilization is approximately twice as high as it should be, for example 150% instead of 75%, it might be caused by flow duplication. For more information, see Resolve duplicate flows.
Edit the widget
If you are logged in using a User ID with administrative privileges, you can change the way this widget is displayed for all users:
- Click Edit to load the Customize/Edit Resource page.
- Make changes.
- Click Submit.
Edit time and flow direction for the view
You can also change the time period and flows direction shown by all widgets in the view:
- Directly below the view name, click next to the appropriate setting and define the appropriate settings.
- Change the Relative Time Period, by default set to 1 hour prior to the current time, or specify a specific time period.
The time and flow direction settings are limited to the current session only. After you leave the view, your changes will be lost and default settings are re-applied.