Prepare your environment for the upgrade of SolarWinds NTA
Supported Version: SolarWinds NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) 4.2.3 and earlier.
When you are ready to upgrade, complete these steps. They include the common actions you need to complete before upgrading products.
If you have a test or staging environment, we highly recommend testing the upgrade first. You cannot roll back an installation once completed.
1. Back up the DB
Snapshot your VMs
Back up your SolarWinds SQL database. If you need help, please check your vendor's site for documentation and instructions.
If you have your database on a VM, create a snapshot or copy of your VM.
You cannot roll back an upgrade. Always create a database backup.
|2. Back up custom code (Optional)||
(Optional) Back up your custom code. When upgrading, any custom additions or changes to the interface will be saved over.
3. Back up Report Writer reports (Optional)
Upgrading to an Orion Platform 2016.1 or later product? You can skip this step.
If you use Report Writer reports (NPM 10.5 and earlier) or still have legacy reports, back up the reports folder to save your custom reports:
|4. Exclude files on anti-virus software||
To ensure the best performance on your server host and provide full file access, exclude specific file paths and directories from anti-virus software scans. See this article for details.
You can also place your systems behind a firewall to completely disable your anti-virus software during an upgrade.
|5. Stop services||Stop services in the Orion Service Manager on the main polling engine, all additional polling engines, and all web servers.|
|6. Disable alert actions||
To prevent false alert storms during upgrades, SolarWinds recommends disabling alert actions:
Upgrade Path notes
SolarWinds recommends always using the SolarWinds Orion Installer to build your upgrade path. Be advised, not all NTA versions can directly upgrade to the latest version and may require running multiple upgrades from one version to the next. For environments with multiple Orion products, you may also need to upgrade multiple products version to version.
- NTA 4.2.3 requires you upgrade to NPM 12.2 before upgrading.
- NPM 12.2 supports NTA 4.2.2 and 4.2.3.
- NPM 12.1 supports NTA 3.11, 4.2, 4.2.1, and 4.2.2.
- NTA 4.2.3 supports direct upgrades from 4.2, 4.2.1., and 4.2.2.
- NTA 4.2.2 supports direct upgrades from 3.11, 4.2, and 4.2.1. Version 4.1.2 is not supported to directly upgrade to 4.2.2.
- NTA 4.1.2 is supported on NPM 11.5, 11.5.1, 11.5.2, 11.5.3, 12.0, and 12.0.1.
- NTA 4.1.2 can be directly upgraded only to NTA 4.2 and 4.2.1. When generating your upgrade path, you will upgrade NTA 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 (the highest supported version for NPM 12.0.1), upgrade NPM 12.0.1 to 12.2, and finally NTA 4.2.1 to 4.2.3.