Track traffic by site in SolarWinds NTA
For capacity planning or other purposes, you may need to monitor bandwidth usage across sites within your network. An effective way to do that with SolarWinds NTA is to set up an IP Address Group for each site, create a custom filter for monitoring traffic within and between those groups, and place the new filtered view on the SolarWinds NTA toolbar.
- Click My Dashboards > NetFlow > NTA Summary.
- Click Flow Navigator on the left edge of the summary view. The Flow Navigator is available on any default SolarWinds NTA view.
- Under View Type, select Detail.
- Select the IP Address Group View Type.
- Select the node that corresponds to the main network device for the site, through which all or most traffic passes.
- Use the private address range in the View Filter list that encompasses the specific site.
- Select the Time Period over which you want to view network traffic by country of origin or destination.
- Select a Flow Direction.
- You can further limit the view by including or excluding the following items: Applications, Autonomous Systems, Autonomous System Conversations, Conversations, Domains, Endpoints, IP Address Group Conversations, Protocols, and Types of Service.
- Select Include or Exclude traffic.
- Enter the appropriate value(s).
- Click Add Filter.
- Under Domains, if a domain name is not resolved and saved in SolarWinds NTA, you cannot use it in the Flow Navigator. SolarWinds NTA will inform you about it and ask you to provide a valid name. For more information about resolving domain names, see Host and domain names in SolarWinds NTA.
- Under Endpoints, you can either type the range, for example
192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255, or use the CIDR notation, for example
- Click Submit.
- Click Save Filtered View to Menu Bar, and enter a name.
- Click OK.