The SolarWinds Config Download tool is used to download the configuration files from a Cisco router or switch. You can specify the target directory in which to save the config files. The Config Download tool lets you download configs quickly and archive them for later use. You do not need to view the downloaded config each time.
To use the Config Download tool, you need the SNMP read and write community string for the router or switch that you are downloading changes from. You also need a TFTP Server for the router or switch to communicate with. You can use SolarWinds TFTP Server or any other TFTP Server.
Some of the uses for the Config Downloader include:
- Shutting down an interface
- Resetting or changing a login or enable password
- Changing banners
- Modifying access lists
- Modifying any other configuration setting
Download a configuration from a router or switch
The Config Download sends instructions to a router or switch via SNMP. This is why the SNMP read and write community string for the target router or switch is needed. The router or switch then transmits the configuration file to the target directory using the TFTP Server specified.
- Click Select Router, and then specify the IP address or host name of the device.
- Select to use a community string SNMP version 3 credentials.
- To test the credentials, click Test.
- Click OK.
- If prompted, store the credentials you specified in the shared credentials database.
- Click Copy Config from Router or Switch to PC.