System MIB Editor is a convenient way to remotely change the System Name, Location, and Contact for a device. System MIB Editor uses the SNMP read and write community string to make the changes.
You can use this tool to set the system information for Network Printers, terminal servers, X-terminals, hubs, UPS devices, and many other devices.
To update system information:
- Specify the host nameorIP address of the device.
- Specify the read and write community string of the device.
You must provide the read and write community string or the update will fail.
- Click Retrieve Details.
- Specify the new name for the device in the System Name field.
- Specify a new location.
- Specify a new contact.
- Click Update Details.
- If you do not want to update the information, specify the name previously assigned.
- If the update fails, the target device cannot make changes to the system information remotely.