Troubleshoot over-allocated DPA licenses
The DPA homepage displays a red banner if SolarWinds DPA is monitoring more registered database instances than you have licenses to monitor. This can happen in two situations:
- A license expires when you have unexpired licenses of the same type on the server.
- You deactivate a license and have other licenses of the same type on the server.
If SolarWinds DPA licenses are over-allocated, you cannot view or analyze your database instances until you deallocate the extra licenses. SolarWinds DPA continues monitoring the databases, so you will not lose data while you bring the allocated licenses to an allowable level.
To correct an issue of over-allocated licenses, deallocate database instances until you reach the proper number of licenses. If Category 2 licenses are over-allocated, assign available Category 1 licenses to cover the shortage. If Azure SQL Database licenses are over-allocated, assign Category 1 or 2 licenses to cover the shortage.
- On the DPA homepage, click License Management.
- Locate the over-allocated license type on the allocations chart. Over-allocated license types are shown in red.
- Clear Cat 1, Cat 2, Azure, or VM check boxes until the chart is no longer red.
You should now see your database instances in your views.