Installing Database Mapper Software
Database Mapper Software is an on-premises, browser-based option for documenting your data estate. This product is a replacement for the DOC xPress product and is the self-hosted version of Database Mapper cloud.
Important: If you are using the cloud version of Database Mapper at https://document.sentryone.com/, this article is not applicable to you.
This user (or the account you change it to) must have read/write access to:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\SentryOne\SentryOne Document (or your custom installation directory)
If you are using Windows authentication to access the Database Mapper database, the user account must:
- Exist as a login account on the database server
- Have access to the Database Mapper database
- Be added to the db_datareader, db_datawriter, and db_ddlamin roles on the Database Mapper database
Note: The Database Mapper Software installer grants the required access to the SentryOneDocument database for the NETWORK SERVICE account.
Where to Install
Database Mapper Software supports both single-server and multi-server setups. There are additional steps needed multi-server configurations.
Additional Information: See the blog post A New, On-Premises Approach to Documentation and Data Lineage: Database Mapper Software for details about the steps needed for multiple-server setup.
There are two install files for Database Mapper Software:
- SolarWinds.DatabaseMapper.Setup.<Version>.msi is the file used to install Database Mapper Software on premises as shown in the steps below. It is the web client software.
- SolarWinds-DatabaseMapper-RemoteAgent<Version>.msi is the file used to install the Database Mapper Remote Agent and Configuration Tool. This file should be installed after the SolarWinds.DatabaseMapper.Setup.<Version>.msi installation is complete (as described below). This does not need to be installed on the same server as the web client software. It can be installed on a web server, database server, or other server entirely (as long as it has the needed access to both the web server hosting the Database Mapper web client and the database server hosting the Database Mapper database).
.NET Core Framework and Windows Hosting Services
The first part of the installation process ensures that you have the Microsoft .NET Core Framework required for Database Mapper Software. It installs Windows Server Hosting (if necessary).
- Execute SolarWinds-DatabaseMapper-Host-<Version>.exe on the machine where you want to install the web client to get started.
- Select Accept and Install to continue.
- You may need to install Windows Server Hosting (if so, you'll see a series of popups similar to the ones below). Select the box next to I agree to the license terms and conditions, then select Install, wait for the installation to complete, and then select Close.
- The Setup Progress window will remain open while the installation continues.
Database Mapper Setup
- Select Next on the Database Mapper Setup screen.
- Select the box next to I accept the terms in the License Agreement, then select Next.
- Accept the default destination folder for installation, or use Change to specify a non-default location, then select Next.
- Select Install to begin the installation with the configured settings. You can select Back to change any settings or select Cancel to exit the process without installing Database Mapper.
- The installation process will proceed.
- The web client for Database Mapper has been installed. Select Finish to complete the process, and launch the Database Mapper Configuration Utility.
Using the Database Mapper Configuration Utility
Use the Database Mapper Configuration Utility to configure your Database Mapper software connection.
Opening Database Mapper
Open Database Mapper in your browser.
- Navigate to your server:port (In this example, it is http://localhost:44302)
- Log in using your Windows credentials. Note: You may need to use the format DOMAIN\User name (depending on your environment).
- Enter your Username and Password on the second Sign in screen for port 44322.
Success: The self-hosted Database Mapper application is ready for you to begin.
Note: There's not much to see at this point. You'll need to configure a solution and generate some documentation to see the real magic of Database Mapper.
Installing Database Mapper Remote Agent and Configuration Tool
Using Database Mapper
After you install the Database Mapper Remote Agent and Configuration Tool, you can proceed to configure your first solution, then continue to the Using Database Mapper section for guides to using all the features.
Opening Documentation, Submitting a Ticket, or Submitting Feedback
Once you've completed the process above and signed into Database Mapper, you can use the question mark button along the top navigation bar to open the Database Mapper documentation, open SolarWinds Support, or leave product feedback.
You can use this as often as you need. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve our products!
To upgrade Database Mapper Software, run the latest DatabaseMapperSetup.msi file and follow the installation instructions above. The defaults for the server and host names may have changed since your previous installation. Please verify those values are correct for your configuration when upgrading.
No additional configuration (re-adding) is required for the remote agents when upgrading Database Mapper Software. If an update is available for the remote agent software, that will need to be applied separately. To update a remote agent, see the Database Mapper Remote Agents article.
Download: Get the latest SolarWinds.DatabaseMapper.Setup.<Version>.msi from the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
Uninstall Database Mapper through Add or remove programs in Windows.
Note: This does not remove the Database Mapper Remote Agent software, which must be uninstalled separately. To delete a remote agent, see the Database Mapper Remote Agents article.
Additional Information: See the Database Mapper Troubleshooting article for information about troubleshooting.