Install Dameware Remote Support client (centralized mode)
This topic provides the steps for installing the Dameware Remote Support client and establishing a connection with the Dameware Central Server. When you use Dameware Remote Support in centralized mode, you can manage Dameware users, share global host lists, and make connections to users outside your firewall.
For information about Dameware Central Server deployment options, see Determine which Dameware Central Server deployment option to use.
Before you begin:
- Install the Dameware Central Server in express mode, two-server mode, or three-server mode. When you install Dameware Remote Support, you configure it to connect with the Central Server.
- Collect the IP address and port number of the Dameware Central Server.
- Review the system requirements and port requirements.
- Obtain a copy of the DamewareRS.exe installation file. This file is available on the SolarWinds Customer Portal. If you do not have a copy of the installation file, complete Task 1 below.
The installation is divided into separate tasks that need to be completed before you can begin using Dameware Remote Support.
Task 1: Download the Dameware Remote Support installation file
If you have not yet created a SolarWinds account, see Access the Customer Portal to create an account.
- Go to the SolarWinds Customer Portal.
- In the Log In tab, enter your email address and password.
- In the Latest Downloads table, click Choose Download for the installation files for Dameware Remote Support.
Task 2: Run the installation file
- Log in as an administrator to the server on which you are installing Dameware Remote Support.
The Installation Wizard opens.
Task 3: Complete the Installation wizard
- Click Next on the Welcome window.
- If you agree, accept the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
- Select an installation directory, and click Next.
- Select Centralized Install, and click Next.
- Enter the IP address and port number of the Central Server, and click Next.
The default port number is 6133, and is seldom changed to another value.
There is a known issue with Dameware where the Test button reports a failure to connect, even though the connection to the Central Server is valid. SolarWinds recommends that you click Next, and continue with the installation.
- Select your shortcut preferences, and click Next.
- Click Install.
- On the final dialog box, click Finish.
As the installation progresses, a dialog box opens, prompting you to enter an email address. If you do not enter an email address, the installation does not complete.
Task 4: Connect to the Central Server
- Launch Dameware Remote Support.
- Select Windows authentication or complete the Dameware authentication credentials, and click Connect to Server.
The first time you log in, you are presented with a self-binding certificate. If you agree, click Yes to proceed.
- To change the connection parameters, click Advanced settings.
You are now ready to use Dameware Remote Support. Refer to the Getting Started Guide to begin using Dameware Remote Support.