Integrate a legacy NPM version with other Orion Platform products
To integrate SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor with an existing Orion Platform, you may need to install the stand-alone product onto the Orion server and perform additional steps. These instructions walk-through the specific installation steps, Configuration wizard selections, and any additional licensing and integration options to select.
Consider these guidelines for your installation:
- When integrating with the existing Orion SQL database, the user account needs only to be in the
db_ownerdatabase role for the existing database.
- For advanced configuration requirements and steps such as FIPS, see the Orion Platform Administrator Guide.
- If you have High Availability as part of your Orion Platform installation, review Install a legacy version of SolarWinds NPM with High Availability
- Install NPM on the Orion server with other products including NCM, SAM, and SRM.
- Installing products on the same server provides a single pane of glass for monitoring: consolidates polling calls and traffic through polling methods, stores and tracks nodes in one system without cross-referencing, provides data for alerts and reports on one system, and manages all logic easily on one system.
- Select the same Orion SQL database used by the current Orion Platform environment.
- If you need to migrate Orion products and install NPM on a new server due to requirements, migrate the Orion products first.
Adding a new product into an existing Orion Platform may require upgrading the current products prior to the installation.
- Using compatibility information and the SolarWinds Product Upgrade Advisor, determine if currently installed products must be upgraded prior to installing this product.
- Depending on the upgrade path, upgrade products following the SolarWinds Upgrade Guide. When complete, install the new product following these instructions.
- When preparing the server, review the multi-module system guidelines when installing into an existing Orion Platform.
|1. Install the product||
Follow the stand-alone installation instructions.
2. Run the Configuration wizard
After the installation completes, the Configuration wizard automatically runs. If the Configuration wizard does not load automatically, start the Configuration wizard in the SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery program folder.
|3. Install any available hotfixes (optional)||
If the Customer Portal listed hotfixes for the product version you downloaded, run those installations.
|4. Add license key||
Add and activate the license key from the Customer Portal.
To activate an offline license, see Activate licenses offline.
|5. Integrate the product into the Orion Platform|
|6. Install on the additional polling engine (optional)||
If you have an additional polling engine (APE), download and install the product using the Scalability Engine Installer.
Best Practice: If the product included hotfixes, you can also run those directly on the additional polling engines. The Scalability Engine Installer should have included them. If the hotfix installation states the fixes are already installed, do not continue. Otherwise, complete the installation instructions from the README file.
|7. Install on the additional web server (optional)||
If you have an additional web server (AWS), download and install the product using the Scalability Engine Installer.
Best Practice: If the product included hotfixes, you can also run those directly on the additional web server. The Scalability Engine Installer should have included them. If the hotfix installation states the fixes are already installed, do not continue. Otherwise, complete the installation instructions from the README file.