Use the LEM Getting Started wizards
The LEM Getting Started wizards guides you through a series of setup tasks, including:
- Mail server integration
- Active Directory monitoring
- Adding additional devices and systems that LEM should monitor, such as firewalls and user workstations
- Basic rules setup that defines how LEM alerts you when specific conditions occur on your network
Open the LEM web console. See Log in to the LEM web console for steps.
On the LEM toolbar, click Ops Center.
By default, the Getting Started widget is on the top left part of the page.
Choose from the following:
- To connect LEM to your mail server and Active Directory, click Configure Basic LEM Settings. See Use the Configure Basic LEM Settings wizard to set up Active Directory monitoring and email alerts for details.
- To open the Add Node(s) wizard, click Add Nodes to Monitor. See Use the Add Nodes wizard to add a syslog node to LEM for details.
- To open the Add Rules wizard, click Define Rules and Configure Alerts. See Use the Add Rules wizard to set up LEM rules for details.
- To watch instructional videos about filters, reports, nDepth searches, custom rules, and more, click Advanced LEM Tools.
Use this wizard to connect LEM to:
- Your mail server so that LEM can send out email alerts
- Active Directory so that LEM can alert you to changes in your AD groups and also monitor AD accounts
Configure email alerting so that users receive email alerts when assigned alert events occur. LEM can connect to an email server or SMTP relay server to forward email notifications. If you already configured email alerts, click Skip to go to the Configure Active Directory Connection screen.
You will need the following information to complete this task:
- The IP address or hostname of your primary or relay email server
- A valid email address you can use for testing
To edit email alert settings later, see Configure the Email Active Response connector in LEM for steps.
If you have not yet done so, open the Configure Basic LEM Settings wizard so the Configure Email Alerting screen is displayed. See Open the Getting Started wizards for help.
Complete the form:
Field Description Mail Host Enter the name or IP address of your SMTP mail server. Port Enter the port number your SMTP server uses if it does not use port 25. Transport Protocol
Enter the protocol for sending outbound email messages from LEM Manager to the email server. Choose from SMTP, SSL, or TLS.
If you choose SSL or TLS, be sure to enter the correct port number in the port field. SolarWinds strongly recommends using TLS or SSL if you use a third-party email server.
Return Address Enter a return email address that is appropriate for your domain, for example
Return Display Name Enter an appropriate display name for email messages sent from LEM Manager. For example, you can enter System Alert or Security Alert. Authentication Server User Name If your email server requires you to authenticate before you send an email, or if you use a third-party service such as Microsoft Office 365, enter the user account that LEM Manager can use to authenticate to your email host. Authentication Server Password Enter the password for the user account.
If you are using a secured email server, add the LEM VM IP address as an authorized source.
To test your settings, click Test Connection.
Email alerting is properly configured if you receive a SolarWinds test message.
To go to the Configure Active Directory Connection screen, click Next.
Complete this configuration so that LEM can monitor Active Directory (AD) accounts and alert you to changes to AD accounts and groups. After completing the form, LEM will establish an LDAP connection to your Active Directory server and import your organizational groups.
This configuration step allows LEM to monitor Active Directory accounts. It does not allow users to log in to LEM with their Active Directory credentials. See Set up Active Directory authentication in LEM to configure LEM for Active Directory authentication.
Be sure that the Configure Basic LEM Settings wizard is open and the Configure Active Directory Connection screen is displayed. See Open the Getting Started wizards for help.
Complete the form:
Field Description Domain Name Enter the fully-qualified domain name of the Active Directory server. Directory Service Server Enter the IP address or host name of the Active Directory server. This server is commonly the domain controller. User Name Enter the user account that LEM Manager should use to authenticate to Active Directory if authentication is required to connect to the server. Password Enter the password for the account. Encryption Choose "TLS" or "SSL" if the Active Directory server supports encryption. Otherwise, choose "No SSL" to leave communications unencrypted. Custom Port If using a non-standard port number, enter it here.
To test your settings, click Test Domain Connection.
If the test is successful, the Active Directory connection is now enabled.
The Add Nodes wizard steps you through adding a network device node to LEM.
In the Getting Started wizards section, click Add Nodes to Monitor. See Open the Getting Started wizards for help.
Select syslog from the Select node type menu.
The Add Node(s) screen appears.
Complete the form:
Provide node information. Enter either the IP address or the hostname of the syslog node that you are adding to LEM, then select a name from the Vendors list.
Configure node so LEM can receive its Syslog messages. Follow the onscreen steps and select the I have configured this node so that LEM can receive its Syslog messages check box.
LEM scans for new devices and the Nodes Found tab opens.
See Add syslog and Agent nodes to LEM for information about adding other types of nodes.
The Add Rules wizard guides you through the following tasks, which are required to enable bulk basic rules:
- Set up email actions
- Set up email alert recipients
- Set up rule categories. The wizard suggests important rules to enable.
Add a rule with the Add Rules Wizard
Click Define Rules and Configure Alerts to open the wizard. See Open the Getting Started wizards for help.
You can also open the LEM rules wizard by choosing Build > Rules and clicking Add Rules in the Rules area.
Select the rules categories you wish to use from the Rules Category screen, and then click Next.
Select the rules to add within the chosen categories, and then click Next.
- Configure your Email Server Settings if you have not already done so previously. See Set up LEM to send Email Alerts for more information.
- Select the email recipients, and then click Next.
- Review the rules summary page for all rule categories, and then click Finish.
See Find and add LEM rules for more information about adding rules.