Learn More about VMAN polling and pollers
Virtualization Manager supports multiple polling options for monitoring your virtual environment. Regardless of the type of poller used, the poller consumes a license either as a node or socket.
For best results, SolarWinds recommends always using the VMAN Orion poller, which collects extensive data and metrics for virtual systems including clusters, hosts, datastores, and virtual machines. Not all pollers collect deep data for virtual items.
If you are an existing customer with a VMAN appliance, you need to migrate polling over from the appliance to VMAN Orion.
When adding a new system for monitoring, you can select from one of the following polling methods:
- Basic: polls using Orion polling methods (Orion agents, WMI, SNMP) for general metrics per managed node. This method is not recommended for virtual systems in VMAN. The poller consumes a node license and only collect basic data for the virtual item for only the specified system. For example, if you monitor a virtual host with Basic polling, you do not receive metrics for children VMs.
- VMAN Orion - Recommended: polls using the VMAN Orion poller for extensive metrics for the host and child VMs. This poller consumes a VMAN licensed socket and uses a poller directly through the Orion Web Console. This option is available for new VMAN customers, without the VMAN appliance.
- VMAN Appliance: polls using the VMAN appliance for extensive metrics for the host and child VMs. This poller consumes a VMAN licensed socket. This option is only available for users who have integrated the VMAN Appliance with the Orion Platform. The VMAN Appliance is typically used by existing VMAN customers with a VMAN appliance deployed in the Orion environment. See The VMAN Appliance for more information.
VMAN pollers access metrics and data through VMware and Hyper-V virtual systems, capturing alerts and events, virtual resource usage, and additional information available through resources and dashboards. Numerous troubleshooting options also access this data:
- Recommendations for generating active and predictive solutions for issues in your virtual environment.
- Sprawl Dashboard for quickly viewing specific data including orphaned VMDKs, snapshots, and more.
- PerfStack for troubleshooting any issue or performance trend encountered in your environment. Drag and drop any metric monitored by the Orion Web Console including VMAN and other Orion Platform products installed or integrated in your environment.
If you are an existing user on an appliance, you can synchronize your VMAN entities using the recommended option to migrate all entities and use VMAN Orion poller. See Synchronize VMAN entities with the Synchronization wizard.
For Hyper-V - if you set poller option at cluster level, all hosts and VMs in the cluster use the same polling method. You cannot change per virtual entity.